Requesting a reservation for a friend or family member

Kelly25
Level 3
Centennial, CO

Requesting a reservation for a friend or family member

Hi!
I've had several inquiries from people with Airbnb profiles who want to book my space for someone else. In all instances I've informed them that it is outside of Airbnb policy to do so, and that all guests must have their own profile and contact me through Airbnb.
One told me I was wrong, that there's no such policy, but I stuck to my guns.
Can anyone tell me where I might find information to back this up? I'm sick of explaining why I will only accept guests with Airbnb accounts.
Thanks!!!!
3 Replies 3
Deborah1
Level 10
Beaufort, SC

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/427/can-i-book-on-behalf-of-a-friend-or-family-member

We made an exception this weekend and shouldn't have. Learned the hard way. Guest did not think we lived here, wanted more privacy, didn't stay here and now want a refund. (They never cancelled, just requested a refund.) No more third party bookings for us.

I will refer them to this article next time! Hope this is helpful to you.

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Kelly25 Glad you stuck to your guns!  @Deborah1 is right.  While many people innocently book for their parents or make a reservation as a wedding gift, reality is that you have no idea who is walking in your door.  One suggestion is to tell the reserving person to purchase a gift card as a present or refer the people who will be staying under the Referral program. 

Here's how both work: 

www.airbnb.com/help/article/981/how-do-airbnb-gift-cards-work

www.airbnb.com/help/article/84/how-do-referrals-and-travel-credits-work

This way you can provide a positive solution!

@Kelly25, with luck you'll never need to explain again (if you refer enquirers to the link provided), but something that third-party-bookers should be aware of too is that they would be financially responsible for any damages by or claims against the guest.