Requirements to post a room in Houston

Requirements to post a room in Houston

Hi, we're new to air bnb. I read on the posting guidelines that some cities require permits and hotel taxes. When I read under what info was linked on this site to the city website for Houston, TX, I couldn't find anything about permit requirements or anything else possibly needed. I want make sure we follow all required guidelines before posting. Can anyone tell me if I need a permit to post a room in Harris County Texas? Or where I could find the information on that? Any info is appreciated.

Thank you

3 Replies 3
Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

@Kara94  Call Codes and Compliance for Houston and ask about short term rentals.  They should be able to answer your questions or direct you to someone who can.  You will need a tax ID from the State and can apply online for same. 

Kijana0
Level 2
Houston, TX

I heard that Airbnb was going to start collecting the Houston occupancy tax beginning July 1, 2019, however, I just booked a short term rental and did not see any sort of line item for any tax. For that reason, understanding that Airbnb collects the 6% due for the Texas tax there is still an 11% burden that falls on me if the client does not know advance that they will owe that before they check in.

Reason, here is my standard reply no to anyone renting less than 30 days:

Please note:

IF YOU ARE STAYING LESS THAN 30 DAYS.... Be aware that the Hotel Occupancy tax paid for this jurisdiction is an additional 17%.

BREAKDOWN

* 6% State of Texas, of which 0.5% tourism with balance to the general fund

* 7% City of Houston (collected by Houston First Corporation)

* 2% Harris County

* 2% Harris County Houston Sports Authority (collected by Harris County)

Your AirBnB payment covers the Texas state HOT tax of 6%.  The balance 11% (7% charged by the City of Houston, and 4% by Harris County) will be billed and due upon or during check-in. We prefer payment via check, but also accept  Zelle, Cash App or credit cards via PayPal (+ paypal fee).

Kijana0

This is great information.

My wife and I am looking to start hosting on Airbnb in Houston.

I would love to talk to you about your experience with it.