Requiring Verification?

Zachary0
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

Requiring Verification?

Do most hosts require verification of your guests? If so, do you think it turns people away from your listing when you're asking them to provide gov't ID's? Any feedback here is greatly appreciated.

111 Replies 111

One impediment to ID in Canada is the costs involved in passports or getting a driver's license. But Canada now has government ID for people needing official ID that Air will accept. This is great news.

Stefan2327
Level 2
Texas, United States

As soon as the booking process for a specific host gets to the point that they require me to deposit identity theft puzzle pieces into yet another hackable database (*every* database is hackable--or easily photographed by employees), I just cut bait and don't stay there. I wish I could filter such places out of results, so I don't get my hopes up. I'm nowhere near a one-percenter, but no short term accommodations are ever going to be worth risking my entire life savings over. Seriously 100% of the time that comes up, I close the tab, utter a mild curse, and look for another place, either here or through a rival service. If I eventually can't use ABB at all because of it, so be it. I'll book my average of 3 weeks a year somewhere else. My identity is worth far more to me than a few nights at a cute place with a view.

Gabrielle238
Level 2
Neuheim, CH

I just let go of three reservations I wanted to book because the "price" was storing governmental ID on Airbnb's server.
Whereas I am happy to provide such type of ID to the host prior to booking I will never have it stored on a server I have no control over. This would just be a capital mistake.

Sunghyeon0
Level 1
Orlando, FL

Host required me to provide our ID to be upload to them via airbnb messages the day before we arrive. 
What can I do? I do not mind showing them my ID but I do not feel comfortable uploading my ID via airbnb messages between me and host.

please advise.

Thank you! 

Anne10913
Level 2
Maple Ridge, Canada

Airbnb is not a hotel chain.  It is made up of a whole lot of individual owners.   I am one of those owners.  I am not rich and cannot afford to pay for property damage.  I’ve had blinds torn apart, glue put all over bedding and my floors scratched up.  I only rent to people over 55.   When I rent my property to an individual, it is not unreasonable to insist on ID.  They are being entrusted with access to my property.  A place I stay for part of the year.   When Airbnb starts paying the bills, they can make the rules.  In the meantime, my roof, my rules.

Som168
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

If there are damages, airbnb has its own claims policy that can be charged to the guest so idk what ID cards are going to be useful for here. You're not doing anyone any favours here, you're running a business just like the hotel chain. Airbnb owners seriously need to get off their high horse and stop pretending like this is anything more than a transaction.

It's one thing to verify IDs in person or over video call or something. But when you're collecting sensitive, identifiable and confidential user data, you are still subject to PIPEDA in Canada. Your roof is still in Canada, so the govt rules still apply.  

As a commercial entity, if you don't have a detailed data collection policy outlining why you need the data, how long you retain it and what's the data security protocol for the same; then you are in violation of Principles 7 and 8 of PIPEDA.

Even if you do have that, your request for downloadable and reproducable copies of confidential information, is in violation of Principles 4 and 5 as you're not limiting the collection and use of data. That applies when a guest is verified on Airbnb and you still ask for ID copies, because technically the platform you operate on already has said data so your collection is both redundant and unsafe.

This is the 21st century, entire billions can be stored on a drive smaller than your nails. And I don't know whether it's ignorance or arrogance, but you can't seriously expect someone to hand you their social and financial identity on a plate like that. Even if you're the most trustworthy person on earth, every app and website you use compromises the guest data that is stored and downloaded on your phone. 

If a host asks me for ID copies, I just ask them for theirs before I share so I know who's liable for potential identity fraud issues. That shuts them up pretty quick because they expect guests to take risks they themselves wouldn't.

Shelly242
Level 2
Westfield, NY

I use airbnb often and if it requires the government ID, I don't book it. I am not comfortable supplying a passport or driver's license with ALL my information esp with the volume of hacking going online (no mater what the privacy policy is...ask Target, Twitter and numerous other big companies that have been hacked and private information has been stolen). So, yes, I have walked away from at least 4 bookings because of this.  I have a picture on my employer's site that I can offer or an ID card, but NOT a passport or driver's license. Sorry.  I totally get the need for identification, but there's got to be other forms that could be used?