Reservation Change shown on screen didn't match receipt emailed after host approved it (specifically the cancellation policy)

Jennifer2550
Level 2
Mill Valley, CA

Reservation Change shown on screen didn't match receipt emailed after host approved it (specifically the cancellation policy)

Hi Airbnb Community,

I am a new Airbnb customer.  Usually I search out local vacation rental businesses that have local offices but felt like I should get with it since it is 2020.  Plus, everybody uses Airbnb.  I usually rent 3-4 houses a year in the US.  I am 50 years old professional (very responsible - not some young kid who needs a party pad).  I am working on booking a 2-month US road trip, so I planned on booking it all with Airbnb, until....... Thus far I haven't been having the best experience with hosts. 

First reservation I made was for May 2020.  I had second thoughts about the reservation because of the hosts house rules - no red wine, no this and that (not normal rules).  I was planning on have 4 women to the house for my birthday weekend.  What if somebody showed up with a bottle of red wine, would I have to tell them, sorry you can't drink that.  I am square and follow directions in general, so no red wine to me means no red wine.  Seemed a little much for a host to control what beverages your guest would drink.  Nevertheless, I emailed the host, and asked a few questions, but the host ghosted me (never replied).  What I thought was odd is the host always replied within the hour, and then doesn't respond at all after 2-3 emails?  The cancellation was coming up, and a friend told me the host is just trying to run out the clock, so they can keep your money.  That thought never crossed my mind because I am an honest person and would never do something like that.  I canceled after my friend’s advice (overall seems odd), and got my money back, but the experience didn't sit well with me.  First exposure to behavior of a shady/weird host (in my opinion). 

Last night I changed another reservation that I had from 19 days to 30 days, but what showed up on the page before you press submit didn't match the receipt, I received from the host today after the change was approved.  Specifically, the cancellation policy.   Below is the email I wrote the host today, and again the host was great about replying before booking but didn't reply to my email once I write about the variance/cancellation policy.  I will give the host the benefit of the doubt that they will reply, however since the first hosts behavior was a little odd, I am concerned because the 30-day reservation is a lot of money.  I do want the reservation but preferred the other cancellation policy because of all that is happening with COVID (who knows what will happen in the next 6 months - the reservation is for next year).  If the cancellation policy had shown last night what came on the receipt today, I probably would not of changed the reservation.  I liked the flexibility to cancel it to mid next year because of COVID if needed.  

Does anybody have any advice? Has anybody experienced what is show on the computer/screen doesn't match the receipt you receive after the host approves the change?  Funny I took screen shots right before I pressed the submit button.  It was more for the price, and just so I would have a copy of what I submitted.  

Email to host today:

Hi Susan, Thanks for accepting my reservation changes. I noticed that the cancellation policy sent this morning didn't match to what it was last night when I submitted the change. Before you press submit, a screen comes up that says does this look alright - it stated, Free cancellation for 48 hours after booking, cancel before 4 pm on July 7 and get a full refund, minus the service fee. I took a screen shot of that page before I submitted it. If you want to see it, let me know your email address, and I can forward it to you. The only reason, I am asking about the cancellation policy is because of COVID. If things are as they are today, I would come with no concerns because I just need to drive up the coast and jump on the ferry. Literally, could just stop for gas, and quarantine in the condo. However, if there is another shelter in place (SIP), or something that prevents me from driving up the coast. We had a no travel SIP (couldn’t travel more than 50 miles from your home). Not sure if you had that up there in your area. I also, noticed that in the listing it stated MARCH 2020 UPDATE: due to Corona Virus concerns we're offering a full refund should you need to cancel.  I am assuming if I need to cancel it would not be an issue, however I thought I should confirm with you, so we are on the same page (since what I submitted doesn’t match the receipt, I received this morning). Please let me know your thoughts. Thank so much! All my best, Jenny

She might reply and all will be just fine, however so far, I am not having the best experience with hosts.  All her reviews are excellent, and she is a super host, so I would think she is an honest host/person.  As I wrote in my email to her, she also had in her listing -- full refund....  I also took screen shots of the listing too. 

I have spent hours and hours picking out houses on Airbnb for the upcoming road trip.  Literally ready to book about 10 more places and am worried I will have issues with other hosts.  Now I am starting to rethink the whole trip.  Should I book at regular resorts, or back to local vacation rental businesses. 

Any advice would be appreciated.  I know where to find the 800 #, so that is not what I am looking.  More about why what I saw on the screen didn't match the receipt, and what I should do about that.    

Thanks so much!

All my best,
Jenny

2 Replies 2
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Jennifer2550 

Any stay of 28 nights and more has the "long term stay cancellation policy" attached, no matter which policy is set in the listing for "short term". If you change a "long term" reservation to "short term" (less then 28 nights), the cancellation policy changes too. If you change a "short term" reservation, the actual cancellation policy is attached.

Hope ths helps,

Emiel

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Jennifer2550,

@Emiel1 is correct.  Your host Susan does not have the ability to change the cancellation policy for long-term.   Here is a link to the tab for long-term on Airbnb's cancellation policy page: https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies#long-term.  Please note that it's automatically applied to reservations longer than 28 days, over-riding the hosts selected cancellation policy.