Reservation cancelled?

Penina1
Level 1
Honolulu, HI

Reservation cancelled?

Aloha,

So I got an email today that my reservation is cancelled and I’m just trying to figure out why it was cancelled, when I did not ask for it to be cancelled? 

9 Replies 9
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Penina1 Was there not a message with the cancellation? Check the message thread with the host. If there's nothing there, just send them a message and ask. 

@Alexandra316 I did check it and there was nothing but I did ask the host if they knew anything about the cancellation and they are just as confused as I am. I’m just really frustrated because I have family flying into Hawaii on the 8th but with nowhere to stay. I don’t mind staying in my apartment but I only live in a 1 bedroom. 

@Penina1 Third party bookings aren't allowed: you can't book for your family. Maybe that's why it was cancelled? 

You can call Airbnb at 1-855-424-7262 or message them on Twitter @airbnbhelp (my preferred contact method). 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Penina1 Strange things do happen when the trust and safety team are involved. We had an enquiry from an obvious scammer this morning (actually it was 6 enquiries) which came through by text but didn't appear in the Airbnb message stream. I can only assume that Airbnb have removed the user but I do worry that I haven't replied to the messages that we didn't get!

Your case could, of course, have nothing to do with this but I use it as an example.

@Mike-And-Jane0 @ I got a text too but I also got an email as well. But I do hope that the host that was helping me out wasn’t trying to scam me. I thought they were really nice. 

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Penina1 as you have no previous reviews to your profile, it could be a system glitch that seems to happen quite often. Many hosts have their booking settings to only accept guests with previous positive reviews. Sometimes bookings go through anyway due to a system glitch. My best guess is that this happened in your case and that the host contacted airbnb to cancel the reservation for this reason.

@Marit-Anne0 @yeah I am super new to this as to this is my first ever booking an airbnb and  I have been in contact with the host quite often and they were actually excited to have me stay at their airbnb or so I thought. But then again, they were very quick to answer any questions I had for them. 

@Penina1 then my first guess is probably wrong. I suggest you contact the host through the airbnb messaging system and ask. There has also been another system glitch where bookings get cancelled for no reason at all. That said, bookings can get cancelled for any number of reasons and nowadays there may be travel or hosting restrictions at your destination for example. Or maybe you have come across an inexperienced host. 

Mary419
Level 10
Savannah, GA

Can you tell us what happened with your payment? Have you been refunded?

When trust and safety does their mystery cancelation thing, the guest and host can’t reach each other after in messaging normally. Like one persons account will be shut off and the other person will get a grave/vague trust and safety cancelation notice. This doesn’t sound like that at all. One thing that could have happened is if you split the payment and the auto charge of your 2nd portion didn’t go through on your card? That can (but doesn’t always) cause an automatic cancelation where the host won’t see any notice it’ll look the same to the host as if you canceled. But messaging still works both ways.