Reservation changes - a loophole?

Mary1701
Level 2
Camber, United Kingdom

Reservation changes - a loophole?

How can a host prevent a guest from exploiting the change reservation option as a way to recoup the fees?

if a change reservation is accepted and that new reservation is far enough In the future to escape the host’s cancellation policy for the original dates, the guest can simply cancel the new reservation and request a complete refund- cancellation policy permitting. 

can some safeguards be put in place?

I just had  guest request a change the day before arrival, which I probably should not have accepted, but the reason seemed valid enough. I’m not going to fill those dates now however. 

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Mary1701 The cancellation policy for the changed reservation is usually adjusted to the original stay dates so you should be ok for the new reservation.

Hello. Do you mean that if she cancels the new reservation, she won’t receive a refund? She made the change on the day before she was due to arrive and so my cancellations policy would not support a refund at that stage. Hope you can clarify. Thanks!

@Mary1701 Yes that is what should happen. Whether it does is, of course, another thing altogether. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Mary1701 

I would protect myself by not agreeing last minute changes to booking.

I advise the guest they would need to cancel and rebook for the new dates. And that if I'm able to get a replacement booking for the original dates then I can refund proportionally for any dates rebooked.