Resolution Center Fail - Heading to small claims

Pat101
Level 3
Culver City, CA

Resolution Center Fail - Heading to small claims

Well ... that was a big waste of time. On our 4th AirBnb reservation a guest threw a weekend long party and trashed our house. A broken teak lounger, towel rack(s) ripped off the bathroom walls, smashed glass at the pool, dented drier, doors knocked off hinges, clogged toilets, missing blender tops - which would explain the margarita mix up the kitchen walls. They also had twice as many people on the property as are allowed according to a city ordinance and which we state in our house rules as grounds for eviction and security deposit lose. Our cleaners said it was the "worst they'd ever seen"!

After many, many emails back and forth, Airbnb decided we were owed $13 for a cutting board the guests destroyed on the grill and wrote the rest off as cosmetic damage and "wear and tear". Intersting choice since we only finished renovationing and furnishing our house 2 months before the incident. We were vandalized and Airbnb completely turned their back on us. They've basically set the precedence that guests can trash your house and there no ramifications. Great news for guest! Terrible news for hosts. 

We're in the process of taking the guest to small claims court. Has anyone said screw the  "Resolution Center" and taking their issues to court? Any luck if so? 

63 Replies 63
Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Pat101 fortunately, I always receive what I claim on resolution center. Fortunately, it has never been something as serious as yours. =

Out of curiosity, that means the guests decline to pay any damage fee, right? And for the small court claims, it will be directed to the guests directly?

Hi Farah,

After suppling detailed descriptions, invoices, reciepts and photos of the damages, the Airbnb Resolution Center decided that we were only owed $13 for a cheap Ikea cutting board... although the damages we accured was in the thousands.  We're taking the guest to small claims court directly. Palm Springs (like many other cities) is passing all sorts of limitations on the rights of home owners and short term guests. We're curious to see what the city court has to say about this kind of short term vandalism. 

We'll keep you posted!

@Pat101 that is really upsetting. Best of luck and yes, I would like to know the updates.

Hi I would like to know if you resolve your case ?

And if you are still working with Airbnb normally?

Best Regards, Juliana 

@Pat101 I’d love to know how this turned out. We have been through hell and back. We had about $2000 in damages and cleaning charges. When we first filed the claim (20 minutes after checkout) the Airbnb rep told us not too worry—there was a security deposit on file and if the guest didn’t want to pay, Airbnb would support us.

We’ve received $197. We’ve provided ample evidence, images, invoices, letters from contractors, new invoices. We’re now at the point where the paperwork is so jumbled by Airbnb that they’re telling us it’s too late to make a claim—even though we did immediately upon checkout.

It’s our first claim and we’ve been super hosts for almost four years.

My next step is going to be small claims court. This is just awful.

Hi, Yes, I just asked if I could take mine to small claims. We arrived at a remote cabin with frozen water pipes. Even though the refund contract states that we are eligible for a refund if listed ammenities are not provided, running water was not listed. Can you believe that?We are out $1400. Air bnb said to me, "Pipes freeze up North" as if they's never heard of winterizing and all residents in Canada are just letting their pipes freeze each winter. 

How did you get the hosts contact information in order to go to small.claims court? Airbnb will.not provide that information.

You would need to put in your listing that you check ID on arrival and take their details down, a registration card.

David

@Pat101 can you update us on the outcome of your case? I haven’t seen ad until tonight. 

Steven142
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

We are in the same boat.  Guest caused over $3,200 in damages. Guest, as well as his co-guests, violated his Guest Agreement many times, they also had an unauthorized guest in the accomodaiton (meaning they owed an additional $555 in rent).  Through email conversations after we filed a claim through the Resolution Center, the guest admitted to the violations, the unauthorized guest, AND the damages they caused.  The guest only sent $395 towards damages and $211 towards additional rent owed.  We escalated both claims. AirBnB sided with the guest on the additional rent even though he provided NO evidence the additional guest did not stay the entire time.  We're waiting to hear back regarding the damages, but assume a similar outcome given some of the stuff we've read here.  We are also planning on taking the guest/AirBnB to small claims court. Would love any advice or info on your experience. 

@Steven0, Please read the information that I wrote to Fred below, it concerns Palm Springs. Another thing that you might be interested in knowing is that if your property is insured as a rental, most insurance is actually limited to long term rentals. My home owners insurance will cover the flat downstairs, but will deny any claims should I have a damage caused by short term renters in my home, because by accepting money from anyone staying here, I would be turning a private space into a commercial space and that is excluded. They could burn the entire building to the ground and I would not be covered. It took me over a year to find a company that would cover the short term renters.

That's scary but so good to know, thanks for sharing. I am out $1400 due to Air bnb violating their own contract. This renting deal did seem too good to be true. What a shame. I'm sure their business wil fail if we all keep leaving though. 

Hi Stephen, what was the company you found that will cover short term renters? We have been using Lemonade, but unconvinced.

I just experienced this with bringing in an additional guest and I provided security video time stamps and dates showing the time they arrived,  in an out all night and the next day and I was told that didn't provide proof that the extra guest actually spent the night.  I guess I should have gone in when they were sleeping to take pictures.  Unbelievable.