Responding to bad reviews

Rhiannon9
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Responding to bad reviews

Hello, I'm new to airbnb as a host, and my third guest left me a bad, and in parts dishonest review. I've contacted airbnb because some of what's been said is patently untrue and our communications through the airbnb app will demonstrate that. 

There was one unfortunate incident where she was locked out of the flat, but I had told her ahead of time that I would be out of London and asked her to check the keys I'd given her to ensure she'd be ok to get into my flat while I was away for the evening, she declined to do so. When she alerted me I was 50 miles out of London on a train, I told her I could turn around and come straight back but that it was likely to take me 2-3 hours to do so (Brighton I love you but your trains to London...not so much!) and she told me to not to. We agreed I'd have dinner with my friend and come back as soon as I could, and let her know when I was on a train back. Unfortunately I just missed the previous train and ended up on a delayed later train, and then my tube home had the passenger alarm pulled... I refunded her for the night immediately and wanted to speak to her the next day but she slammed the door and avoided me for the remainder of her stay so we didn't get the chance to discuss it.

She's now claiming my flat was dirty, that she had to buy slippers because of the dirt - she arrived with a ratty,clearly dusty pair of freebie slippers from a flight/hotel or something like that, I had cleaned the whole flat immediately before she arrived including hoovering and dusting the room she was staying in as well as the rest of the flat including fully cleaning the kitchen and bathroom. I also feel she's misreprenting the reason I was out of town, claiming I came back from a party at 1am, rather than meeting a friend from out of town for dinner 90 miles from London etc.

Would you respond to the review or await feedback from airbnb before doing so? Or just hope that you get enough good reviews that the one bad one can be ignored?

6 Replies 6
Vanessa-and-Kurt0
Level 10
Farmington, CT

Airbnb is not going to do anything for you. They don't change or delete reviews or moderate between host/guest for this type of thing. I see that you left responses to your other guests reviews. I would say in order for this review not to stick out, just leave a short response that says something like "I am glad you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for the heads up on the keys not being correct-that has all been straightened out now."

This way you are not calling attention to the bad post by writing a whole paragraph response but if anyone bothers to read it you solved the problem. I would ignore the "dirty" stuff altogether, that is subjective and your other reviews are complimentary. After a few more reviews no one will even notice this one.

Good luck, I am sure everything will work out just fine.

Thanks, It just rankles to have a review with some outright lies in it which affect my star rating this early in my time hosting!

I also have a similar bad review issue. I really wonder what would be your insight on what my public response should be like. Would you please care to look at my post as well. Thank you a lot. 

My post is called 

Responding to Bad Unfair 1 stars Review

Communication is an art!     This sounds like if she found the place clean and acceptable the first night, she planned to stay longer, and nothing was amiss.   As operators we know that everyone can be fallible.  If you've given her the heads-up alert about being absent on a specific date so she should check how to use the key in advance, then you've done your part.   You can't make another (adult) think or listen.     As long as you know that you have given acceptable service (as evidenced by the extended stay) then I'd simply chalk this up to experience (and hold your head high).    Reviews can hurt, but don't take it personally.    Be certain to write an accurate review. You might want to have a pet phrase or routine where you give the guest the key and confirm that they are able to open the door in your presence.        B&B hosting is pleasurable, and for  the most part guests are reasonable.

Mandy81
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hey @Rhiannon9 I'm sorry this happened bad reviews especially untrue ones can be really hurtful. I agree with @Vanessa-and-Kurt0 keep the response brief she probably wont read it it is for the benefit of potential guests so all you want to do is clear up any questions they might have so address the key situation say you're sorry this happened you supply a key and this is why it is important guests check the key at the beginning of the booking regarding the cleaning I would also say you pride yourself on how clean guests say the apartment always is on this occasion you thought you had left it sparkling clean but you are sorry if you missed a spot. Dont worry about it though people will come after her and give you top marks and pretty soon people wont even see her review unless they really search.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

deleted