Restricting check-ins, checkouts, and non-refundable rates...like other platforms

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

Restricting check-ins, checkouts, and non-refundable rates...like other platforms

Although Airbnb is really pushing to be like other OTAs in regards to making hosts accept guests with little to no-prior contact or without having to accept the reservation.  In regards to this, I think they should stay in their lane until they start collecting a security deposit, and providing hosts a simplified way of claims adjustment and getting reimbursed.

Recently, I have read some threads regarding the management of rates, and check-in and checkout restrictions.  This is an area where I do would like for Airbnb to  implement some of the host tools that are readily available on other platforms.  Currently, a host must set up six length of stay restrictions just to block off one date for arrival, and there is no way to block off any dates for checkouts.  Previously, when I contacted CS about blocking off a couple of holidays for arrivals and departures, but keep them available for booking, their suggestion was that I state in the Things to Know section of the listing details that arrivals and checkouts were not permitted on Christmas, New Year's Eve, and New Year's Day.  This is not a good way to promote a positive guest experience.  The guests go through the search process, and then become disenchanted when they read in the listing details or on a photo tag that check-ins/checkouts are not allowed on their desired dates. 

I wish that hosts could easily block off dates for check-ins and checkouts by just selecting the desired dates on their calendars, and make certain periods non-refundable, such as holidays, Carnival, Spring Break or during big events). On Booking.com, a host just needs to select the dates on their calendar , then click the Room to Sell Bulk edit link.  A pop-up appears, and the host can easily make multiple changes to the room availability, rate availability (e.g. non-refundable only), and check-in and checkout restrictions.  Click Save changes, and easy-peasy, the changes are made. 

When the guest does a search on Booking.com, if the host updated their calendar properly, listings that are not open for checkout on the selected arrival date or checkout on the selected departure date when not appear in the search results.  Displaying only available properties provides a good user experience, and removes the possibility of frustration for both guest and host, because a reservation doesn't have to be altered or canceled.  On the Booking.com dashboard, you can see where your commissions are being spent - cool UI and UX features.

Booking.com CalendarBooking.com Calendar  Booking.com Rooms to Sell Bulk EditBooking.com Rooms to Sell Bulk Edit

(my space is currently closed so my calendar shows there's no inventory available)

Booking.com Calendar Drop-downBooking.com Calendar Drop-down         Booking.com Availability Drop-downBooking.com Availability Drop-down

4 Replies 4
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Debra300 My gosh, CS really knows nothing!

You can restrict check-in/out days. You can create a ruleset. 

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 9.39.41 PM.png

It shows up on your listing like this:

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 9.40.55 PM.png

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Debra300 Are you using professional hosting tools? 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2499/how-can-i-use-professional-hosting-tools

For instance here are all my color-coded rule sets for Thanksgiving, which prevents guests from check-in/out on certain days and length of stay rules.

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 9.45.52 PM.png

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Emilia42,

I am very busy with the renovations, and preparing for health and tourism inspections so I can re-open, but I want to send a quick thank you.  I do have professional tools, and will check what you've said when I get some time.