Returning guests wanting to stay for free

Sandra68
Level 2
Almoradí, Spain

Returning guests wanting to stay for free

I had a booking for two gentlemen from another site book with me.

They were here to look at selling properties they had locally and asked me to accompany them into town, later we stopped for lunch and they insisted on paying.  They were with me for 2 nights.  When they left we agreed to keep intouch as they'd be coming over on a regular basis and didn't want to stay in a hotel, which was great for me.

One of the men returned a month later and insisted on me accompanying him to sort out new estate agents rtc, as I wasn't busy I reluctantly agreed.

The third time they both wanted to stay but without having to pay.  They said we had all become friends and I shouldn't be charging them because we were now friends.  Although, I explained this was a business for me, they just couldn't understand.  

It was a very awkward situation for me as I am not a forceful person and now I have lost them as friends as I insisted they stay elsewhere.

Another guest asked me to accompany them for an evening meal because they did not want to eat alone, I paid for myself. I really can't afford to do this for every single guest I have. 

I am a helpful person and always go out of my way to assist everyone even at my expense.  The problem is I know I need to have boundaries but not sure how to go about this.  

Any useful tips or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Sandra

Sandra

4 Replies 4
Debbie18
Level 5
St Just, United Kingdom

Hi, I'm a new host so have no direct experience but I must say good for you for sticking to your guns and sending them on their way. They were not friends, they were scroungers.

Set your boundaries and stick to them as you already have. As you say, this is a business not a social arrangement.

Debbie

Just say no

Linda0
Level 10
Spring, TX

Hello Sandra -
The first step is to no your limitations as Clint Eastwood would say. You already know that you are a softy at heart, so next step, keep in mind you are running a business to make money and not to spend on whims of the guest. Unless it's a treat you want to offer them in advance always be on guard to say no. No to outings, no to lunches, no to dinner, no to shopping sprees, no to refunds unless your electricity, internet, water or heat goes out and h*** no to free stays.
Those are the tips I would suggest, and you stay in there, you will do great. It gets much easier with each new guest.
Linda
Bree0
Level 2
California, United States

I haven't had any returning guests wanting to stay for free (yet), but I've been in your shoes.  Like you, Sandra, I'm a softie, but have learned a lesson the hard way.  I've been offered by a guest to dinner (free) who didn't have a car; I declined, as I had a feeling the guest had "free ride" as a motive.

Don't be sad that you lost them as "friends," as they never were.  I can almost be certain that befriending you was their ulterior motive so they can take advantage of you; and if they were really your friends, they wouldn't put you in that situation at all.