Reversing an Account Ban

Geoff445
Level 2
Berowra Heights, Australia

Reversing an Account Ban

I stayed at a Fijian Island homestay, one of the best I have been to. It is not just a homestay but a community stay.

The host (a son of the chief) was a superhost (the only one in these parts) but a woman complained of hearing loud voices outside the homestay one morning and the host was banned.

I sent in a detailed account of the incident as relayed by the host and villagers (and included photos). There is a community path exactly 11 metres from the house entrance, which is the only access to the community plantation above the village. It is occasionally used by those attending their plot. On this morning two of the host's cousins were, what the community calls, dissing each other, interacting in a friendly boisterous way. 

I sent in a long explanatory note and asked for a reconsideration of the ban.  The response I received was that only the host can make a request for a reversal, even though I was providing independent data for what I believe to be a misunderstanding.

The host has approached Airbnb and after multiple exchanges received the message below. It is absurdly unfair. Quote, "we also take action against additional community member accounts based on their affiliation, shared attributes with the listing, location, or account that we have removed from our platform to ensure the safety of our community". We ask you to respond but "we are unable to disclose any information about the affiliated person, account, location, or listing that triggered this action".

How can you respond to criticism if you are not allowed to know what that criticism is? How can you show "further evidence that clearly shows your disassociation with this listing, person, property, or location", if you don't know what the "listing, person, property, or location" is?

**[Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

12 Replies 12
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Catherine-Powell I was about to contact you saying I couldn't find a Superhost suspension this week and then @Geoff445 's posting pops up.

How does it make any sense for Airbnb to ask for a host to defend something that they don't know the details of? 

Geoff445
Level 2

The suspension was in 2018.

This is some of what I wrote in my first submission;

The host did attempt an explanation as to his delisting but to no avail and has no access to his login now.

I have been to over a hundred homestays but this one, [XXX] is very very special.

It is not just a homestay, run by Bill, his wife Bolla, son Jim and daughter Sarah, it is also a village stay. It's delisting was devastating to the community, as told to me by the chief, Sakara, and others, as when guests arrive Bill uses people from the village to help on the snorkelling, shark diving tours etc.

Starting on Airbnb in 2016, Bill was a superhost by 2018 which is no mean feat as no other homestays in that area have that status.

The village has a population of 150 and they all related and marry within the group. Remarkably very few leave. It is very isolated with limited transport (only via shared village boats).

As told to us by Bill and others, in August 2018, a NZ lady was picked up on the ferry Flyer and stayed 2 nights only. Between 7 and 8 am, she heard two men talking loudly outside the home (she was inside and did not see them), and complained to Bill. He apologised and thought the matter closed. She protested to Airbnb.

Bill received a call from Airbnb and said yes, two people had talked outside the home, and again thought it not consequential. He was delisted, despite offering a refund and further apologies.

What was not understood is that behind Bill's house is the communal plantation where families have subplots. The only access is the path outside Bill's house, which is exactly 11 metres from the door (see photo attached, three people are on the path including Bill, with the door to the right after the thatched roof).

The two men on that morning were Thomas and Apex (both Bill's cousins) , who went up to the planation to work. They were doing what the locals call dissing, friendly banter/stirring between cousins. It was directed only to themselves, was totally unthreatening and a good distance from the home. Note that Thomas and Apex still reside in the community.

In the four days we were there, we only saw a couple of boys come down the path after picking guavas. They gave us several of the fruit which were great. If you live in a community you should expect some interaction, of course non threatening.

The irony is this home is the quietist in the village, being above and to the edge of the village. We only heard birds during our stay. That is what is most puzzling to everyone, the homestay is super quiet and the hosts and locals are utterly unthreatening.

The chief invited us to the good Friday church service and the following feast (pictures attached). As stated, it is not just a homestay but also a village immersion. Sakara reiterated the importance of the homestay in bringing in income, as they only have fishing, the plantation (mainly cassava and banana). During covid they were reduced to bartering food.

I respectively ask a reconsideration of the delisting on behalf of the community and Bill. Not only is Airbnb missing out on outstanding listing, but I believe Bill Vatu, one of the many chief's sons, and the whole community in general, was over penalised and deserve a second chance.

A solution would be have a line description of the community pathway and perhaps a probationary period if that is possible.

I am a professional historian, researcher and writer.

Geoff 9:04 AM

Further, the homestay has only 5 star reviews on google reviews. Here is the latest from March 2022 (Paula's fijian name is Bolla). They stayed a month with their 7 year old going to the school;

Julia Szuster
5/5
a month ago on Google
Thank you from the bottom of our hearts to our hosts Bill and Paula for their incredibly generous hospitality. Bill, Paula, their family and their community and welcomed us with open arms into the best experience we could have asked for during our trip in Fiji.

They provided us with everything we needed, from the mosquito net to the shower that ran with beautiful spring water. The house itself is a few steps up the hill away from the main hub of the village, so we had an incredible view on the ocean.

Paula is an incredible cook and we never left the table hungry. All the food was extremely fresh, including the cassava and pumpkin which they farm on the island. Her fish broth is legendary.

We have loved all the experiences that were offered to us and the family tried very hard to accommodate any activity we wanted to do. We were welcomed with open arms by the chief with a very special kava ceremony. Be sure to go snorkelling with the sharks, and try your hand at spear fishing with Api. He was able to catch a dozen reef fish which Paula lovingly prepared for our lunch less than an hour later.

Our only regret is that we did not spend long enough there. Our next trip to Fiji will be sure include a longer stay with Bill and Paula, as we wanted to contribute more to the community activities such as beach/village cleaning, weaving, playing rugby, and improving our fishing skills.

Once again, a very warm thank you to Bill, Paula, their family and community for a truly unforgettable stay.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Geoff445  This is a terrible reflection on @Airbnb.  Hearing voices like that would bring me joy and make me feel like I was in a community, but I live in a city.  Did this entitled lady think she would have Fiji all to herself?  

Anyway, please post the name of the accommodation so we can find it and support it.  There's no prohibition here on doing so.

Geoff445
Level 2

Many Thanks.

The host Bill said there were 3 linked properties on Airbnb [Wayasewa Island (Yasawa Islands)];

1. Oceanview garden (homestay)
2. Snorkelling with sharks
3. Vilees seaview

Two and three took overflow.

Top left of island here;

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ocean+View+Garden+(Homestay)/@-17.3342796,177.1311968,14z/data=!4m...

Geoff445
Level 2

Here's the latest

**[Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

So, in conclusion.

Airbnb holds closed door secret assessments of hosts and then terminates them, without the host even knowing, or being allowed to know, why they are being terminated.

This is without justice and common sense.

Geoff445
Level 2

Do not call this an appeals process as it is not. It is a SUMMARY EXECUTION.

Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Geoff445 @Ann72 @Mike-And-Jane0 … Actually, I am getting quite upset because I actually do believe the Hosts of Fiji are being ignored and discriminated against.  Recently a host there was looking for an answer as to when she was going to be paid.  Before suggesting a possible route to resolving her question I had a quick look at her listing and reviews.  I was absolutely HORRIFIED to see that her second most recent review  was an absolute vile and unacceptable rant from a guest which violated Airbnb’s review policy on just about every level and more… I gave a link and suggested to the host that she should ask for this review to be removed… no host should be ‘abused’ the way this one was…. And if I could report this review myself, I absolutely would.  I actually delved a bit deeper and found that the guest that left this review had actually left similar ones (with the exception of one) for previous hosts in Fiji.  .. and in my opinion should be banned from the platform …There were also numerous hosts for which he had apparently left no review, but I suspect those were probably on a similar vein and removed upon the hosts request.  I am absolutely disgusted… I know that Airbnb cannot monitor everything, but still… this one review absolutely ‘tanked’ the hosts ratings to the floor and they obviously had no idea that it could be removed or disputed… This particular Host actually had left this guest a fairly nice review but admitted to me that he had been ‘difficult’.  If I had the time and money, I would make an effort to go to Fiji, stay with this host and leave a five star review because given their previous reviews I think it would be an outstanding holiday!  Airbnb need to wake up and start taking Hosts previous performance into account!… let’s see their ‘perfect’ algorithm’ work that one out!

Geoff445
Level 2

Thank you Kate867

Further;

1. English is Bill's (and all Fijians) second language.

2. There is one mobile tower on the Island (Vodaphone), on the other side from this homestay. To get reception Bill has to go down to the beach every time.

3. If this were say a serious assault charge, and there is no indication it was, the police should be notified and all prospective visitors should be. 

4. But nothing from Airbnb. Superhost to zero because of some top secret, unknowable, supposed offense.

Geoff445
Level 2

To all prospective visitors to Fiji.

If you don't want to interact with the locals, go to one of the island party resorts, where you can drink your cocktails and only interact with tourists.

There is no point going to Bill's place if you don't want a cultural experience.

Geoff445
Level 2

**[Advertisement removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines] - Please note that it is not allowed to advertise on the Community Center. 

Geoff445
Level 2

So the forum admins have now removed the quotes from airbnb. So there is now zero transparency.

What is said was dear host, you have been cancelled. You have 72 hours to respond but we cannot tell you what you need to respond to.

Other hosts need to see this.

Hi @Geoff445,

I love that you had such an amazing experience with your Host and it's moments like yours that really show how unique our community is. And thank you for taking the extra step to reach out to us about what's been going on with this listing. Because of privacy concerns, I can't share any details of this case with you, but, I did ask our team to review what happened and they'll be in touch with the Host.

Thank you,

Catherine