Review Blackmail

Annies0
Level 3
South Shields, United Kingdom

Review Blackmail

Question for fellow hosts...

Is there any point in notifying Air about a verbal blackmail threat from a guest? It was not mentioned in guest/host messaging or even by sms.

No idea if guest will go through with it but again it's just verbal threat at this point. Is it worth calling Air to notify?

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Annies0  Yes.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Unless it's an emergency it's always best to keep all communications on the platform so there is a record. @Annies0 

In this case message the guest back on the platform and say something like. 'Just want to follow up on our phone conversation... it's against Airbnb's T&C to try extort money from a host in exchange for not leaving a negative review' (or whatever the issue is).

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Annies0 “It was not mentioned in guest/host messaging”

Airbnb won’t recognize communications made off platform, so no there is nothing to report. When a guest tries to communicate off platform, respond to them on platform with a reiteration of what they said and keep the messaging there, especially when they are making threats of any kind. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Colleen253  I agree that the host should document the threat in an Airbnb message, but I still think a host should report a guest for making verbal threats. I wouldn't expect Airbnb to take any action without proof, but at least there may be a notation of the report.