Review on my physical appearance

Kelly-Destiny0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Review on my physical appearance

Hi community,
I was recently very badly reviewed by a guest who mentioned that people should stay away from my listing because it is not safe, I live in a council flat but this was already mentioned in my listing to avoid some disappointments but she also said I quote “Furthermore the host was really scary. The host was wearing unappropriate clothes” I received the the guest at 1am in the morning and was wearing a long African dress and my hair were covered too. When i mentioned her comments to be discriminatory and disrespectful Airbnb said that she is not breaching the policy and so her comment won’t be removed. I am quite chocked to see that such comments are allowed I was not rude , did not pose any threat.I just do not understand why my physical appearance or clothing have to be mentioned there I was decent, and in no case looked scary like she suggested. I also felt offended and disrespected. I really don’t know what to do, any advise someone?

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Kelly-Destiny0 

You have / had the opportunity to leave a public comment on the review !

As the review is rather overdone i think most people don't take it very serious.

Best regards,

Emiel

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

The review makes her come across as unhinged and will soon be lost amongst your other, great reviews,. @Kelly-Destiny0

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Kelly-Destiny0 

If I were you I would reply to her review: "I am sorry this guest finds my long African dress and my covered hair "scary". I am not sure what clothes would be more appropriate at 1 AM  in the morning when she arrived, but I  promise I will google it to find out 🙂 

Melissa1006
Level 2
Denver, CO

I recently had a similar situation...

The guest left a public review ending with: "... One of hosts likes to lounge in her underwear with her door open and in common areas, but both hosts are chill."

and to dramatize the issue, added in the private comments: "... If I may offer some feedback, <host's name> may want to throw on real shorts or shut her door if she wants to lounge in her underwear while there are guests."

In this scenario my roommate was wearing shorts under a long t shirt while she was cooking and spending time in her bedroom (guests pass by her doorway on the way to her room).  It was August in Colorado and we do not have AC in most rooms, so it is very hot in the house. 

In our case, it is much more reasonable for a guest to misunderstand or feel offended by her attire, since she was wearing relatively small shorts, but we do not want people to be turned off from booking, thinking that we run around in lingerie, or as a nudist group. Being two younger, female hosts, we are also concerned about people (specifically men) booking our room and EXPECTING underwear or any sort of nudity. 

If it helps, we ended up responding with: "We are super glad that you enjoyed your time sharing our home with us. We would like to mention that during the summer months, since we lack AC in the common areas and our bedrooms, we typically lounge in shorts and large t-shirts. We regret that it appeared as if we were wearing underwear in common areas, and that it may have made our guest feel uncomfortable. However, rest assured we stay appropriately and fully dressed whenever guests are staying with us."