Review response

Patrick568
Level 10
California, United States

Review response

So what are hosts doing when you get a review that has nothing to do with your AirBnB? We recently had a guest who responded that the location wasn't great because their Uber driver told them( four 20 something girls) that the area was "Sketchy" Which it is not. This comment from the girls was put in our review. I wasn't sure if I should respond.

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Patrick568  I don't see any review on your profile which states such a thing. Did your guests mention this in private feedback? I notice you have made a few responses to your reviews which address things which weren't mentioned in the public review at all. You shouldn't do that- only respond to what is publicly written. By responding to comments that no one else can see, you are simply drawing attention to a complaint that no one would know about otherwise.

Also, responses should only be made to clarify something the guest said in the public review that is untrue or misleading. Responses are for prospective guests, not a rebuttal directed to the guest who wrote the review. So if you are just responding to a nice review, it's fine to address the guest "Thanks for staying, XX, it was a pleasure to host you".

If the guest has voiced a complaint which is valid, " We are so sorry you were disturbed by the neighbor's loud party. We have spoken to them about it and they assured us it won't happen again. The parents were out for the evening and their teenager invited friends over without permission. "  "Sorry about the broken bed slat. Had you let us know about it during your stay, we would have come right over to replace it. The bed is fine now." 

If it's a complaint which isn't valid, don't engage in arguing with the guest, just make things clear to future bookers. "Had this guest read through the listing description and the amenities offered, he would have been aware that there is no washing machine available for guest use."  

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Patrick568 I don't see that comment in any recent review of your listing. Re. your response to Jevonne's review-- don't respond publicly to (negative) private feedback, and keep in mind that the reviewing guest will most likely never see your response to their review. It's only for the benefit of other guests. Your response makes you seem defensive and grumpy, TBH.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Patrick568 

Which review are you talking about? Did you get it removed?

On a side note: Is this a common practice by Uber drivers? I have literally read dozens and dozens of accounts of the exact same phrase. It's as if they will get a better review if they show a greater concern for the passenger's safety. If I was an Uber driver I couldn't care less where I was dropping someone off.

@Emilia42  I know, I've read of Uber drivers doing this before, as well. It's none of their business to tell guests that the place they have booked is in a sketchy area.

I could see them doing it if they were dropping some girls off in an area of town where they were just planning to walk around and go clubbing, but it's totally uncool to do it if they are transporting someone to an Airbnb accomodation and dropping them off at the door.

I think you are probably right- they are angling for a good review by showing concern. No matter if it leads guests to giving a bad review to the host for no reason except hearsay.

Patrick568
Level 10
California, United States

Thanks for all the input! I will be more measured and careful about how I respond to reviews.