Reviews Are Being Allowed By Guests Who Cancelled?!?

Answered!
Samantha292
Level 2
Austin, TX

Reviews Are Being Allowed By Guests Who Cancelled?!?

I feel very uncomfortable that guests who cancel before their stay are allowed to write reviews.

My cancellation policy is moderate and Airbnb calls to ask if they can receive a full refund. If I say no then the guest knows and gets to leave me a bad review? And they get to review things that they didn't even see like accuracy, location, cleanliness because they never checked in!

Help thoughts? 

1 Best Answer

As per the last Q+A with Brian Chesky guests are not allowed to leave reviews if they cancel before check in time. watch the video.

View Best Answer in original post

22 Replies 22
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Guests who cancel within 24 hours of checkin time get to review. There are reasons. Search it in the various CC forums and you may see what and why

Stay-Asheville0
Level 10
Asheville, NC

I think if the guest doesn't stay there they shouldn't be allowed to leave a review. It doesn't make sense.  It's like not eating at a restaurant and leaving them a review.

As per the last Q+A with Brian Chesky guests are not allowed to leave reviews if they cancel before check in time. watch the video.

Hi @Ute 

There still seems to be some confusion with the Airbnb support teams. I've been sharing this thread, along with the Q&A video and I keep hearing that guests ARE allowed to leave a review even if they haven't seen your place. I've been told that is the policy despite that video saying the contrary. 

Here is the transcription I made: 

"If a guest cancels before check-in and they HAVEN'T seen your space they should NOT be able to leave a review." 

"There's a weird overlap that can happen on a last minute cancellation on the day of check-in. So let's say your check-in time is 2 o'clock, and the guest flight is delayed or something and they end up cancelling at 3 o'clock... they haven't seen your house yet but the system thinks they are checked in... cause your checkin time is 2 o'clock. There's a weird window on checkin day where it is possible they have the opportunity to leave a review but they didn't actually see your place." 

"and if that ever happens to you just give us a call and we'll help get that review removed." 

I have an issue with a 1 star review from a guest who cancelled late on check in day before seeing my place or actually 'checking in'... Despite this I keep hearing contradictory stances from the teams at Airbnb support. They are firmly saying that a guest CAN leave a review despite not seeing your place. 

Is the policy actually written anywhere?  Anything else I can do?

Hi @John1440 ,

if You watch the video and scroll down the page You see the 8 Questions asked and answered.

One of the Questions is:

The review system can feel unfair sometimes. What are you planning to do to improve it?“

In the written text below You find:

Guests shouldn’t be able to review your space

before check-in; if that happens, contact

customer service, and we’ll correct it.“

Tell the people in customer service if they don't follow the instructions of Brian Chesky they will be fired.

I was directed to "help-article-546" by a case worker where I read under violations  - "Reviews that do not represent the author’s PERSONAL EXPIERENCE or that of their travel companions" and yet the case worker typed, and stood by the words "The ability to leave a review is not based on whether the guest stayed in the listing or not".

Those statements are in conflict. When I expressed this I was further told "Star rating works like a private feedback wherein it's not going to be published but a guide on what needs improvement, it's still the overall rating that will show up on the listing page."  

That did not help and did not deal with the issue. If they are never present they can't possibly respond to ratings with personal expierence that require having actually been there.

Reviews of cancellations should be specific to that situtation and not the standard or just not allowed at all until they get it fixed and fair.

I don't care what anyone says about this.  If they cancel and get a refund reviews shouldn't be able to be left.  

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

If the guests cancel before checkin, it does not make sense to let them write a review.

Ali40
Level 10
Crozet, VA

Do hosts get to review the guest who cancelled? Can hosts at least respond to the review so we can point out that the guest never actually stayed?

yes, @Ali40 the review process is always double. And yes, you can respond to the guest review. The policy exists to call into the light listings that were so terrible that a guest decided, after arrival, not to stay. Or also perhaps for guests who were somehow undesireable enough to, after arrival, not be allowed to remain.

Unfortunately, there are many other scenarios that can happen within 24 hours of arrival so there are review situations that become available that probably shouldn't. Unfortunately nuance is not something that ABB is capable of.

As long as the host can post an answer of some sort on the review AND review the guest in return I guess that’s fair. Is this only for guests who cancel on check in day and not prior to check in, right?

@Ali40 24 hours

Hilary79
Level 8
Spokane, WA

I can understand that if a guest doesn't stay the night they can leave a review (i.e. horrible conditions caused them to leave).  However, if the guest never stepped foot into the home, they shouldn't be allowed to leave a review.

Not really sure how Airbnb could manage the process in this respect which is why they likely have the 24 hour time period.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Airbnb people are smart and powerful.

They do this because they can.

In this case, Airbnb can have their cake and eat it too.

They treat Moderate and Strict policies as a sin. Then they apply a "sin tax" - An extra 1% for moderate, an extra 2% for strict. 

But when it comes to honoring their policy, they force the host to give up the money through harrasment and by letting the guest extort the host.

Airbnb gets to keep the extra 1-2%, even though they have no intention of honoring their policy.

Win-win for Airbnb