Reviews - When a guest leaves a review then the host does, can the guest edit it after?

Crystal223
Level 2
Chandler, AZ

Reviews - When a guest leaves a review then the host does, can the guest edit it after?

Hello,

I am new to renting my home as a vacation rental and could use more information on how the review process works. I just had my first stay and can see that she left a review but can't see it until I complete one on her is that correct?  First experiance wasn't a great one. The guest broke my showerhead handle and clogged the disposal. I also do not allow parties/large gatherings or childern under 2 at my home. She stated it would only be two people and I have a 3 bedroom home that sleeps 6.  All rooms were used and she had a huge party per what the neighbors stated, this was also validated by beer, alcohol and other items left at the house.  There were also dirty dippers left in the spare bathroom.

If I leave a review on her that is professional but lets others hosts know can she change the review she left me if it was a good one?

If I take her deposit to pay for the damage can she edit her review?

Thoughts?

Crystal

2 Replies 2
Stephen-and-Adam0
Level 7
Santiago de Querétaro, Mexico

Hi @Crystal223 

Sorry to see that your first experience was a negative one.  It seems this guest took advantage of your inexperience and it is important that you are honest in your review so that other future hosts are aware.  Her review cannot be changed once you have submitted yours so you need not worry about any review retaliation via an edit.  In your review of her, simply list the key facts and advise you would not recommend her to other hosts.  Keep it simple and free of emotion or conjecture to enure it is not challenged and removed.  

If there was any damage or additional cleaning costs, you will need to gather all evidence (photos and receipts) and open a case with Airbnb to obtain the costs of the damages.

Hope that helps and your nexts guests play by the rules!

Adam

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Crystal223   You have two different issues here.  First about the review and editing it:  You can edit your review until it is published, which will happen when the guest has submitted their review or if 14 days since check out has passed.  This allows both the guest and the host to provide their review without seeing the other review.  As a host you are also able to respond to the guest review as needed.  Just be professional and non defensive in your response.

Second:  If you are making a damage claim, you are required to advise the guest of the damage and the cost and ask for payment.  If guest agrees, request the money through the system.  If guest denies or refuses to respond in a timely manner, you then use the Air BNB system to seek payment.  You had best read all the articles about making a claim.

Breaking your rules in and of itself is not something you can claim unless there is chargeable damage.  Your review is the only response you can have by doing a thumbs down review so the guest is not able to use IB and other hosts will be warned.