Reviews and Damages

Scott74
Level 1
Denver, CO

Reviews and Damages

I just had guests leave yesterday and they damaged 3 new sets of towels and tried to cover up getting sick or drug use by lighting candles which dripped wax all over my $2500 freestanding tub. They also did not inform of any damage (I had to find for myself).

They just sent in a review (I have yet to review them). I can tell they gave 5 stars - and I don't want their review to change but I need to make a claim for extra cleaning and new towels I need to purchase.

Is there any way to prevent a review change after you make a claim? I'm also hesitant to give a review until I resolve damage issues...

Any knoweldge or advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

Scott

5 Replies 5
Zandra0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hello.

How would lighting candles cover up getting sick or drug use? how are the two things in the same sentence? One (drug use) is pretty serious infringement to me, the other (getting sick) unavoidable and not something you can blame someone for. Neither are the type of thing you cover up by dripping candle wax down a bath/hot tub?

Also, how can you tell they've left you five stars? Unless you have powers of divination you can't see what they've left you until you too have written a review. That means nothing shows up in your stats until the review is published ...

Maybe it's just that you've written your post in a hurry but based on what little you've said, you seem to be jumping to startling conclusions without much evidence ...

Sorry for the confusion - Colorado is a Pot friendlly state. If you smoke in a house you could light scented candles to hide the smell. I put that my house is not Cannabis friendly. It's clear they partied and got sick from all the destroyed towels. I put two and two together about the candle wax. there is a ledge that holds toiletries above the bathtub that there was candle droppings and it is all over the bathtub. regardless of what they did or did not do, I want to be able to recover for damages and not have it afffect the review...that is the point of the question.

Thanks.

And I can tell five stars because I am new and I check the stats after each visit so I know who gave what star rating.This is easy to do when you only have had 6 sets of guests.

Zandra0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

It's possible Airbnb have changed things again ... In times past you couldn't see anything in your stats unless the review was published.

Normally towels are an expense related to hosting and not normally chargeable against the deposit. I have way to find something (and I include blood, spray tan and hair dye) that hasn't washed out of my towels. Maybe because I went with white and am OK to use bleach when needed.

If damage has been caused by the wax you can certainly make a claim for that.

Unless you have clear undeniable evidence about the drug taking I don't think you can take that aspect any further ...
Dusan0
Level 2
Niš, Serbia

The moment you post your review, they can't change theirs. Even before that, I'm not sure they will be able to change the review they have already written. 

What they can do is post a reply to your review, on their profile, and that's about it as far as I know. 

As for the other stuff, as far as I know (I might be wrong on this one) you can claim damages up to your security deposit amount. But Airbnb does make exceptions in certain situations.