Reviews and Rating value...

Barbara83
Level 3
Copenhagen, Denmark

Reviews and Rating value...

Hi

I have been wondering about what guests rate when it says "value"... Because value is always subjective... I assume they are valuing what they are getting for their money. Right?

But I still don't understand because what are the guests comparing this to? What they get other places? If this is the case then it's not fair. They have seen in the listing what they are getting at the specific price. So I find it weird that after choosing to stay here they are giving 3 or 4 stars for value. I mean why? What did they expect? It's still more expensive to stay at a hotel than at my place... How do you understand the rating of "value"?

Another thing is "location". They have seen the location on Google maps before booking. So is it about whether they liked the area or not?

Sometimes I ask my guests to specify why they gave less than 5 stars for the specific categories. But they don't always answer... Like why 4 stars for cleanliness when everything was cleaned before they came? I just don't understand.

Do you ask your guests?

Thanks.

8 Replies 8
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

I did ask guests early on when I got a 4 for location @Barbara83 and their answers were so moronic I stopped.  "I thought it would be closer to the water than it was."  Obviously this guest couldn't read a map, and of course nowhere in my listing does it say anything about being close to water.  "It was too far from Acadia National Park."  Again, can't read a map.  "I had to drive places."  This from two different guests who came from west of the Mississippi.  Their idea of Maine came from the little village in "Murder, She Wrote."

Anyway, since the category scores don't affect the overall score, I stopped stressing about it.  I just try to deliver the best value I can and.  You can't please all the people all the time.  Lots of hosts have posted about this - it drives everybody crazy, and many believe that the location category at least should be removed.  The guest chooses the location when they book and we can't exactly move our houses to one they'd like better.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ann72 wrote:

Their idea of Maine came from the little village in "Murder, She Wrote."

Oh, I feel this. I've had a lot of guests whose idea of London was Hugh Grant, vicars on bicycles and everyone stopping for cream tea at 4pm. 

I've also had guests who think because they've booked a room in a Victorian house that it's going to be like Downton Abbey and everyone in the neighbourhood is going to be white and posh.

What they definitely don't expect is to see people of colour or mixed income groups, which immediately spell 'danger' to them.

As for value, it's a complete mystery to me. The ratings are so subjective as to be completely meaningless. If there was something better on offer for the same price, why didn't they book it?

@Huma0 wrote:

@Ann72 wrote:

Their idea of Maine came from the little village in "Murder, She Wrote."

Oh, I feel this. I've had a lot of guests whose idea of London was Hugh Grant, vicars on bicycles and everyone stopping for cream tea at 4pm. 

I've also had guests who think because they've booked a room in a Victorian house that it's going to be like Downton Abbey and everyone in the neighbourhood is going to be white and posh.

ha ha! 😄

"...this guest couldn't read a map, and of course nowhere in my listing does it say anything about being close to water."

"Their idea of Maine came from the little village in "Murder, She Wrote.""

OMG this is too funny! 😄

Patti-And-Marty0
Level 10
East Fremantle, Australia

Location and Value are the two that are out of. your control. Just the other day a guest wrote in their review that my place was such a great deal compared to hotels. Then gave me a 4 on Value. Also gave a 3 on Location. This guest was a local so nothing about the location should have been a surprise. Anyway overall score is what counts so don't get too fussed about it.

Christina768
Level 4
St Mabyn, United Kingdom

@Barbara83 @Patti-And-Marty0 @Ann72  In my experience the entire Airbnb review process is pretty much skewered in favour of the guest. They choose to stay with us for a number of reasons but mostly to save a fortune on a central or coastal location spot that comes with a premium price tag. You offer them excellent sparkling clean accommodation in a peaceful location with premium bed linen / towels etc and a designated free parking spot but then they rate you on their fantasy wish list. Comparing you to  the Ritz Charlton 20minutes further up the coast so invariably the location score is effected, despite the fact that google maps / description on the listing states the distance journey time (hence £150 a night saving) is clear for all to see. Then inexplicably  on "Value" they judge you against the Ritz with a pool, 6 rooms, 'Boutique / Designer' accommodation instead of what you have clearly stated that you provide. Ok if they don't understand a map or listing description at least look at the photographs. I find these types of guests live in a delusional universe where they wished they were staying at the Ritz Charlton and take their frustrations out on the keyboard (warriors) when it comes to the ultimate score. They mark you 5* in all areas and then somehow their addition ends with an overall 4* go figure. They also mark down on things that aren't provided e.g kitchen, spare room etc how you mark down or penalise on items that don't exist is beyond me. Nothing as weird as folk. Ultimately if Airbnb truly cared about an honest and fair review system they would allow hosts to challenge inaccuracies and unfair reviews. In my limited experience of questioning these types of misjudged reviews the outcome is the same 'why are you bothering us' the customer is entitled to their opinion however nonsensical it might be. The same situation happens when a guest violates the 'House Rules' or community guidelines. Now with the new system in place a guest can stay for up to 72hrs and lodge a complaint demanding a refund. Brace yourselves it's going to get mighty bumpy.  

Thank you for your reply.

"They mark you 5* in all areas and then somehow their addition ends with an overall 4* go figure." - yes, I have also experienced that! It doesn't make sense!

Yet, us hosts we can review the guest on 3 parameters and then the guest gets the average rating of that...

I also got a 4* review recently because she could not cook in the kitchen... However, it's clear when booking that cooking is not allowed... Then why did she choose to stay at my place? Right?  

Katie1288
Level 1
Freshwater, Australia

I too am perplexed with how one sided the "value" review is particularly when I'm offering a great rate that accommodates for 6 people.  My bookings have been attracting 5-6 people on most occasions,  so per person it's much cheaper than a hotel with the use of the entire home fully equipped with top quality furniture, top Sydney location, everything at your doorstep, close to beach.  Everything else, I  sit at a 5 star rating but the value has dropped to 4.2 and it really bugs me.  If they were to book a hotel, they'd be paying far more.  I feel the value rating is unfair to hosts all because someone doesn't have the common sense to see value if it was staring them in the face. Airbnb need to seriously look into this from a hosts perspective.