Reviews and feeling held hostage regarding broken items

Barb26
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Reviews and feeling held hostage regarding broken items

Hello - we have been renting out our cabin on another site and started here a few months ago.

We had recently a "super host" come to our home and the result was a clear disregard of our house rules, leaving our house unlocked and open to wildlife (we live in the mountains and have bears). She spent a lot of her time writing notes and telling me all the things I am doing wrong and how experienced she is and how good she is at hosting.  I just responded initially with - ok great - thanks and the like.  So when I arrive I find food everywhere - the house is unlocked and open with garbage in reach of bears (which is a felony in our area - I'm told).  There were several small items broken by her children and most of all after her stay I received pages and pages of notes in addition to the ones she already wrote and sent - and I have to say - the worst host we have ever had.  I wasn't going to ask for damages because I would rather have a good review.  But then the additional notes and the broken turntable - that was enough.  Her initial instant book reservation said (1) guest - which was followed by an email listing 5 people which we only allow 4.

So - what have you found happens when you have these "not so super hosts" stay?  Is this a thing?  I had house rules and check out lists that were blatently ignored and then I was told our lists weren't good (we haven't had a problem so far!)

What would you do?  Not file a claim?  Write a real review?  No review?  Thanks.

3 Replies 3
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Quite a lot of us have had a similar experience hosting a host. Write an honest review, Its well documented that some hosts make the worst guests

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Barb26 first, I would make sure that Airbnb is aware of this. If I were you, I would claim the damage and leave an honest review. Best of luck!

Felicia99
Level 2
Rockport, ME

I refuse to allow my newly renovated cottage and me, to be held hostagw by the possibility of a bad review when there haz been damagw to my property. A recent guest sent a note extolling their stay, but conveniently omitted any information about the giant coffee spill on my wall to wall carpet. Review be damned, I immediately callex ABB and started the requisition for damages. People find fault no matter how nice the accommadations are. Screw the review process and thw fact that the host doezn't get to see the review until after they review the guest. Hostage no more !