Reviews keep commenting and marking down on cleanliness, but the house is spotless, just old!

Alexia38
Level 1
Brisbane City, Australia

Reviews keep commenting and marking down on cleanliness, but the house is spotless, just old!

I've started out AirBNBing a property about a month ago. It's a nice, comfortable three bedroom Australian post war house, built in 1946, very typical of older houses in the city it's in.

Every second review I've received has been 5 stars except for cleanliness, and sometimes the overall, which comments have said they've marked down due to cleanliness. The thing is though, it's spotless! I spend a couple of hours cleaning it between guests, and I've had professional cleaners come in once a week for a deeper clean.

As far as I can tell the things being mistaken for 'not clean' are things that are just part of the house, not actual dirty or dirtiness or fixable. In particular there are old paint spots and scratches on the wooden floors, some exposed grey grout on the bathroom floor,  two of the glass panels in the shower having clouded over internally somehow for some reason, and some stains on the bathtub itself in particular. People's comments have repeatedly singled out the floor and bathroom, so I think these are what they're talking about. 

But those aren't things that any amount of cleaning is going to remove, and they're all disinfected, wiped down and polished between guests, they just look their age, which is about 70, and something I can't change without literally gutting the entire bathroom and replacing everything, which I can't realistically do. 

I'm starting to dread getting reviews, and am considering just cancelling everything and renting the place to tenants instead because this is making me feel like AirBNB is more stress than it's worth. I really don't know what to do at this point, and would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

2 Replies 2
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Alexia38  The written reviews so far are very flattering and positive.  You might be a little too sensitive because it appears that your guests enjoy your home and your hosting.  Your pictures reflect a cozy, lived-in home. I think playing up the "blemishes" in terms of the history of the home is a comforting marketing strategy.  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Alexia38

I did have a chuckle at 1946 being old in terms of a property. Here a property is normally 18th or 19th century before we see it as old.

Issues such as grey grout in the bathroom and paint spots and scratches on the floor are definitely fixable. You don't need to gut the bathroom to do this. Just remove and replace the grouting. And sand down and repair scratches/remove paint spots.

The glass panels in the shower might be to do with ventilation on the room or just need replacing.

I would attend to the minor issue and then consider using some of your income to replace the shower glass.

Good luck.