Reviews not showing

Lawrence23
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Reviews not showing

Hi everyone,

This is my first time using the community center so I hope I have come to the right place.

I recently concluded my second stay in two months, and for the second time, my review has not appeared on my host's page, nor have I received any feedback. In the past, I have written up my review within 24 hours of vacating the rental, and hosts tend to have provided their reviews (all positive, incidentally) within a further 24 hours.

As I am not a host, can someone tell me whether hosts can choose to 'block' guest reviews? That would not seem appropriate as they would then only publicy publish positive reviews of their own place. In which case, does this seem like a glitch: perhaps my review is somehow getting lost in the ether (though it is on my REVIEWS page) and therefore not triggering the response from a host?

Any help much appreciated... seeing as I treat each stay as a means of building my credibility for future stays, and so to miss two reviews when I have been a considerate, clean and otherwise excellent guest is frustrating!

Thank you.

66 Replies 66

I'm just back from a stay where there were bed bugs, leak in the roof and invested with thousands of ants.  I left early and checked into a hotel.  Charged me full amount 2400 dollars and my review won't show.  

She had 3 glowing reviews and given the state of the place I can't understand how there were no negative comments.  There's a glitch on airbnb.  I wouldn't use them again.

It is not in AirBnb’s favor to publish negative reviews.  The naive public, especially generations honed on technology, find it difficult to understand how ethics are not an integral part of capitalism.  It is all about making money.  AirBnb is not interested in altruism or transparency.  They are a business and publishing negative reviews hurts their profit margin.  Would you expect anything else?  It’s like trying to sell a house or a car and telling perspective buyers terrible things about the property or automobile.  That would be stupid.  The corporation named AirBnb is not stupid.  Caveat Emptor.  It is your responsibility to look at all the positive reviews carefully, examine the photos, and base your decision on analysis and inference.  No consumer can trust reviews on the internet.  There is no consumer agency protecting you.  You can only depend on the depth of your own intellectual ability.  

Catherine71
Level 2
Victoria, Canada

I wrote a review for a guest "Elin" and it is not showing. If I try to enter it again I am told I have already submitted my review. I am a host. What to do?

Nevena6
Level 2
Zagreb, Croatia

Hi,

I have the same problem here, but I am a host 😕

I have 2 listings that I just started to rent over Airbnb. With my first one, I got my first 2 reviews and all went good.

With the second listing - I got my first review today, as a notification on my mobile - but after that it disappered from my listing. On my listing it says I dont have any reviews yet. I can see it on my profile page but I cant reply to it, a private review has also disappeared. It`s also not adding - it says I have 2 reviews on my user page but you can clearly see, I have 3.

Also, my review on that guest`s page is not showing up.

This is really frustrating cause I am a new host - I need those reviews and I was so happy seeing they are good. 

I wrote to Airbnb help - we exchaned 3 mails for now but they still didnt solve anything. They want a phone call but a phone call is not good to me. I mean, it s not a problem, I should talk with them about. It`s a techincal glich / bug I suppose - they should just fix.

And I oppened a new topic here in community room just like you.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/A-review-is-not-showing/m-p/478998#M113207

Any suggestions?

I read that I m not the only one having this problem .....

Best regards,

Nevena

LOLA - no review.jpgLOLA - no review.jpg

Hello,

Just an update from me. After my third mail, Airbnb corrected the bug. So my review is showing up now.  They needed 2 or 3 days to correct it (but 1 was a holliday). So everything is okay now. My advice is to just be polite & write to their help center & they will correct their flaws. 

All the best,

Nevena

Gemma77
Level 1
United Kingdom

I have had a similar problem.  A guest stayed recently and said she posted a review.  I did not receive any notification from Airbnb and it has not appeared.  I cannot see a way of contacting Airbnb to query this.  

They charge enough by way of fees.  They should not be so difficult to contact.  Not everything should be controlled by a computer programme.

Does anyone have a failsafe method of contacting Airbnb?

Thank you

Charles262
Level 2
Azeitão, Portugal

Same problem!   

I recieved the email norifications that my host had left reviews, about two properties I stayed at,  with the same host,  in the same week.

Literally,  three days later,  I sat down and did both reviews.  I also then was able to view the hosts review / feedback.

Now I can only see the review I did for one of the properties,  not both!

Not the first problem with Aribnb,  I have already wrote that booking was quite problematic,  with calenders off and bookings not completing . . . 

Anyone got an answer on this?    

I called a number I found,  which was listed as San Francisco but was in fact Florida!  All of which is totally useless if you are in Europe like me,  there is no contact email or number as far as I know ?

Dublin?!

Philip162
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Of course Airbnb controls the review process.  It is a profit motivated business and has no qualms doing anything to increase those profits.  When these dot com companies are in their infancy, there is a degree of ethical behavior required. However, once these small, customer based companies are bought out and become billion dollar corporate entities, ethics and client based practices are laughed at and ignored.  This kind of corporate behavior is systemic, now that digital business runs our world.  Do not believe most of the consumer reviews published on the internet.  They are monitored and controlled by the company.  It is a factor of our times. Fortunately, I am old enough to philosophically reminisce about a world where business ethics and truth were a part of commerce.  Sadly, those days are long gone.

Joseph281
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

Just had a mildly bad experience of learning upon arrival that my host's description of "no on-site parking" equated to a half-a-mile walk to the nearest non-permitted parking. I left a very strongly worded review about the location and next thing you know my review is hidden. I call Airbnb and find out after half an hour that the host spoke with a case manager to have the review hidden. The customer service rep could see no issue with my review violating any content guidelines.

I'm very disappointed with this service as there is a clear preference for putting professional hosts over patrons. In my instance, I am sure there are plenty of women who would like more transparent information about the parking distance in a strange urban neighborhood.

@Joseph281 I am sorry your review is not visible to help other guests!

Sometimes if a review is too "strongly worded" a customer service rep will remove it for violating the AirBnB Content Policy. It can sometimes be a judgement call, which is why it is unsurprising that you found a customer service rep who would *not* have removed it.

(BTW, it is funny, but on the discussion boards guests will complain "AirBnB is totally putting hosts over guests" while hosts will complain "AirBnB it totally putting guests over hosts". Both sides have stories to back them up.)

Then I suppose the system is working if neither sides are satisfied 😄

If it is a judgment call, then in my opinion the review should be left up. "Beyond a reasonable doubt" should be applied for review guidelines - now I just have a bitter taste in my mouth and am reconsidering using Airbnb for business travel in the future indefinitely. 

Mark908
Level 1
Logan, UT

Same problem, except that I can’t even see my own review. I figured it got lost in cyber space and tried rewriting it, but it says error I’ve already written it. Well of course I have but why can’ I see it and why isn’t it showing up in the reviews? We had a great time and communication between host and ourselves was not a problem. We gave 5 stars and great review.

Chistine

Sarah1388
Level 2
Greater Manchester, United Kingdom

I queried this too, and noted  that the reviews were there but not in date order, they put all the home country reviews first then by country thereafter (albeit I had an American review in with all the Chinese reviews)The customer service lady was surprised as me at this and we both agreed that you should be able to sort the reviews either by date order or by country order, she said she would recommend this to their IT department 

Cari19
Level 1
Meikle Wartle, United Kingdom

Home country first kinda sucks for me, I'm a native of Los Angeles who happens to live in Scotland.  My reviews may never be seen. That said, though the host deserves the good review I gave, someone on their end did mention that the last 50 guests left 5 star reviews. 

UGH! 

@Cari19 the order isn't really "home country" first. A person looking at the page will see the reviews that match his/her own native language first.

So that means that a French-speaking person will see the French reviews first, while a German-speaking person will see the German reviews first.

Different people will see the reviews in different orders.