Reviews not showing

Lawrence23
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Reviews not showing

Hi everyone,

This is my first time using the community center so I hope I have come to the right place.

I recently concluded my second stay in two months, and for the second time, my review has not appeared on my host's page, nor have I received any feedback. In the past, I have written up my review within 24 hours of vacating the rental, and hosts tend to have provided their reviews (all positive, incidentally) within a further 24 hours.

As I am not a host, can someone tell me whether hosts can choose to 'block' guest reviews? That would not seem appropriate as they would then only publicy publish positive reviews of their own place. In which case, does this seem like a glitch: perhaps my review is somehow getting lost in the ether (though it is on my REVIEWS page) and therefore not triggering the response from a host?

Any help much appreciated... seeing as I treat each stay as a means of building my credibility for future stays, and so to miss two reviews when I have been a considerate, clean and otherwise excellent guest is frustrating!

Thank you.

66 Replies 66
Dixie7
Level 10
Dunsborough, Australia

Hi Sarah ... and nothing has been done! Reviews still not in chronological order ... it's a ridiculous system.

Cari19
Level 1
Meikle Wartle, United Kingdom

I'm confused on this and was searching for an answer. Today is day 14 since I checked out of my first Airbnb stay. I left a really positive review as I felt the host deserved it. They were highly communicative during and before my stay. That said, I reviewed the host the second I was given the chance and...as was said above, I'm trying to build a positive guest rating. I don't want to upset anyone, but I also feel I obeyed rules, left the place in immaculate condition and respected neighbors. I guess I don't understand how this review process works. Especially since I've read that my review doesn't go public until they review me as well. 

Any help? 

Thank you!

@Cari19 it sounds like the host did not write a review for you.

If there is still time, you can send a message to the host asking if they could please write a review of you.

Your review of the host will become public after the 14th day, whether the host writes a review of you or not.

If the host *had* written a review of you, both reviews would become public at that time.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Cari19,

Nice to meet you!

Have you had any luck so far? 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

It is not in AirBnb’s favor to publish negative reviews.  The naive public, especially generations honed on technology, find it difficult to understand how ethics are not an integral part of capitalism.  It is all about making money.  AirBnb is not interested in altruism or transparency.  They are a business and publishing negative reviews hurts their profit margin.  Would you expect anything else?  It’s like trying to sell a house or a car and telling perspective buyers terrible things about the property or automobile.  That would be stupid.  The corporation named AirBnb is not stupid.  Caveat Emptor.  It is your responsibility to look at all the positive reviews carefully, examine the photos, and base your decision on analysis and inference.  No consumer can trust reviews on the internet.  There is no consumer agency protecting you.  You can only depend on the depth of your own intellectual ability.  

Anna1627
Level 1
Pittsburg, CA

I too posted a review which has not been uploaded.  very disappointed.  

Ian175
Level 2
Brecon, United Kingdom

Some reviews for my place aren't showing, after weeks in some cases yet others pop up immediately. They show on my private pages but are not visible to the public. I've spoken to Airbnb 'handlers' a couple of times and there has been a simple denial of the fault. It seems contrary to the Airbnb line on 'community spirit', trust and honesty. 

AirBnb is notorious for creating an ersatz review system. Negative reviews are rarely posted, and AirBnb will even alter a review that might shed a poor light on a property. If contacted about these missing or altered reviews, AirBnb will claim your review was too long, was posted improperly, or had inflammatory or improper vernacular. AirBnb is a corporation in business to make money. They are not “non profit” or a consumer advocacy company. AirBnb will not do anything stupid to hurt their business. Negative reviews hurt their profit margin.

Sarunya0
Level 1
Moon, PA

Same thing happened to me.

I reviewed my 4 Airbnb stays and 3 of 4 reviews remained on the listing page. The 3 that remained were on the positive side and the 1 that is 'missing' was more on the negative. This seems coincidentally strange that the negative is no longer available for view to the public while the positive is available.  The negative review was only negative on the cleanliness part and was positive regarding host and location.

If it is true - based on previous replies to this thread - that an Airbnb rep can remove reviews at their discretion, or possibly at the request of a host, it makes me question the credibility of Airbnb and the reviews I read to determine whether I would stay at the place or not.  It does not truly depict the stays of all guests and can mislead a guest into believing the place is great when in actuality there may have been issues future guests may need to be aware of. 

I agree that guests and hosts are complaining equally for one-sided, biased  relations with each other, convinced that Airbnb is taking of the correctness of just one side. I think much of the misunderstanding and faults could be avoided if the real human factor takes place in the rating of Airbnb properties offered to guests.

I think guests as well as hosts could give their views on how this is possible to be implemented. One way the problem could be delted with is through an Airbnb team appointed to rating the properties, all of them - not only the Plus ones. Obviously photographers should provide not only still pictures to the team, but also word description and even film-moving pictures=

Now the situation is ridiculous - hosts insist they do deserve 5-stars because they were right in their description, or vice versa - they deserve it if they correct their description to accurately represent what is the situation in the property, i.e. - not having AC in hot weather is not a point to have at least one star removed in reviews since you indicated in the description that the flat is without AC, ect.  Once this is done - there will not be either 5-stars or any other - meaning - failing, as it is now the situation. And perhaps all hosts should be obliged to go through the evaluation at least once in 3 years, paying for the photographer,s work.

I think there must be special category - unusual airbnb,s - for islands, hucks, and again one for  castles, ect. For them the 5-stars rating have different meaning.

Julia868
Level 1
Ottawa, Canada

Hi,  I had a negative experience with my stay in Toronto and left a neutral review, but reflected my experience in the stars. As the owner (Daryl) of the condo knew that I was not happy with the state of the apartment, he didn't leave me a review on purpose (so my review will not be published). Up until now I never thought about it, but the ratings are not reflecting the truth if the owners can block unhappy customers. Thankfully, it was the only bad experience with airbnb, but the thought that the stars actually mean nothing scares me and makes me be extra careful with my next stays...

@Julia868  Your review will be published whether the host reviews you or not. If the host does not review you the review posts 14 days after your stay. If you both review prior to that time it publishes then.

That is erroneous information.  

AirBnb is notorious for creating an ersatz review system. Negative reviews are rarely posted, and AirBnb will even alter a review that might shed a poor light on a property. If contacted about these missing or altered reviews, AirBnb will claim your review was too long, was posted improperly, or had inflammatory or improper vernacular. AirBnb is a corporation in business to make money. They are not “non profit” or a consumer advocacy company. AirBnb will not do anything stupid to hurt their business. Negative reviews hurt their profit margin.

Rob397
Level 1
Vancouver, Canada

We have had the same experience.

recently stayed in a house in Kitsilano (a featured house) all the plates were scratched and chipped, mold in the shower, barbecue covered in mold. Old beds.... just a mess. Glass shower doors misaligned so as to produce a risk of breaking.  Presented an honest, clear but critical review (with photos) but, surprise,surprise. Only review published was a glowing one from prior to our stay.

Look up the CEO in San Francisco and send him a letter.

Jim485
Level 2
Rochester, NY

@Lawrence23 Airbnb defaults the reviews shown to "Most relevant".  You can use a drop down menu to change that to "Most recent".  If the host has written their review, or the 14 days have elapsed, your recently written review should pop to the top of the list.  Does "Most relevant" means "Most favorible"?  Perhaps, but things can change, and I prefer reading the reviews from most to least recent.Most_Recent.jpg