Reviews not showing

Lawrence23
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Reviews not showing

Hi everyone,

This is my first time using the community center so I hope I have come to the right place.

I recently concluded my second stay in two months, and for the second time, my review has not appeared on my host's page, nor have I received any feedback. In the past, I have written up my review within 24 hours of vacating the rental, and hosts tend to have provided their reviews (all positive, incidentally) within a further 24 hours.

As I am not a host, can someone tell me whether hosts can choose to 'block' guest reviews? That would not seem appropriate as they would then only publicy publish positive reviews of their own place. In which case, does this seem like a glitch: perhaps my review is somehow getting lost in the ether (though it is on my REVIEWS page) and therefore not triggering the response from a host?

Any help much appreciated... seeing as I treat each stay as a means of building my credibility for future stays, and so to miss two reviews when I have been a considerate, clean and otherwise excellent guest is frustrating!

Thank you.

66 Replies 66
Martine677
Level 2
Madison, WI

After many good experiences as a guest, I had a horrendous experience and posted a one-star review for this host in order to warn others of what they should expect. The review never posted on the host listing. All my other reviews (4 and 5 stars) posted within 24 hours. This is dishonest and constitutes fraud and deceit. What gives Airbnb?

@Martine677  In spite of all these guests on this thread claiming Airbnb removes bad reviews, that is simply not true. Hosts have a virtually impossible time trying to get even a review which is obviously full of lies (as evidenced that the host has 50 5* reviews and glowing written reviews) removed.

The only time they will will agree to remove a review is if it contravenes their review guidelines, i.e. is discriminatory, profane, mentions Airbnb involvement in a dispute, etc. and you can read their review TOS online to see exactly what those criteria are.

What is true is that Airbnb has constant tech issues which can cause this type of thing.

Also, reviews are not published in chronological order, so in order to make certain that your review hasn't been published, you have to scroll down through all the reviews, click on "Read more reviews"- you could find yours buried way down. 

Your review would only be published within 24 hours if the host had also left a review. Reviews are published after both parties have submitted one, or if only one party does, it will be published 14 days after check-out.

@Martine677 Your review is posted in the exact moment the host posts his/hers review OR after the 14 days of review period is over. The reviews are blind.

If your review got posted 24 hours after you wrote it and the host had not been writing one yet the host could read your review and if it was a bad review punish you with writing a bad review of you. That's the reason why the review system is blind and your review won't get posted until AFTER your host writes a review OR after the 14 days has gone and then it is to late for the host to write a review. 

Martine677
Level 2
Madison, WI

@Sarah977 The host in question here has no prior reviews so it's not a matter of scrolling down to see my review. It simply was never posted, whether that was intentional or technical glitch I don't know but it becomes very suspicious when 5 star reviews make it and negative reviews don't. I think guests have the right to know if there is a problem in a unit, in this case it was a strong ammonia odor from pet urine, the place was unbearable and should be taken off Airbnb, hope it's not your next destination, because you'll have no way of knowing until you arrive! 

@Martine677  Sorry you had a bad experience and yes, other guests need to know about it, just like hosts want to be warned about an objectionable guest.

So it's been at least 14 days since you checked out and the review hasn't been posted?

I have a horrid host and can't find a place to post a negative review!  I didn't even get to stay with them because of Covid. He kept my money and I want to warn guests

@Martine677 If the 14 days of review period is over and you still can't see the review on the hosts profile I think you should contact airbnb. It is very unusual that reviews are not posted both the good and the bad ones.

Best, Sandra 

Joan367
Level 2
Downpatrick, United Kingdom

I have had problems with leaving a response to a review a host wrote about me it hasn't showed up like it said under her review !! The place was crawling with insects, some bits in bad state of repair, beding torn with stains and dirt on mattress, cobwebs hanging from ceiling and the back of radiators.  The host said they could not meet my expectations!!

Eduardo681
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

well the best thing that everybody that   as been unable to leave their testimony if a bad experience it's just to go to airbnb appstore and play store stick airbnb with 1 star and explain why.. the attitude will change .. Guaranteed 

Joan367
Level 2

It's not really airbnb's fault, it was the host who made the false comments, if I had of been allowed to put my pictures up of the apartment it would definitely have changed visitor's additudes.  It was that bad airbnb refunded my money after I sent them the photographs.

@Joan367  Your response to her review does appear on your profile, but not on her review page. I'm not sure why that is, but I suggest you contact Airbnb to find out why. Maybe it always works like that-responses only appear on the reviewers profile, I don't know.

The good thing is that as it appears on your profile, future hosts will see your response to her review of you making you seem like a difficult guest. As she has tons of glowing reviews, I might think you did have unreasonable expectations, but there is another quite lengthy review that echoes your experience. All I can think is that she has a cleaner who falls down on the job sometimes- it seems weird that so many guests said the place was amazing and clean, and yet you and another guest found it bad, (there may be more bad reviews, I only read through a couple pages of them).

Christiane383
Level 1
Torrance, CA

I also have had this experience with Airbnb - I vacationed in Maui with my family in a condo infested with cockroaches - the host never disclosed that there was a problem with cockroaches and I asked for a partial refund - not only I did not get the refund I asked for but Airbnb did everything to block my review from being published, including ignoring me, although the host posted a bad review on me, even though there was no reason for a bad review.  I really believe at this point that Airbnb blocks bad reviews - this is the second time that something was not disclosed by host - and that they can get away with it.  If Airbnb continues like this, they will get a very bad reputation.

Joan367
Level 2

Thank you Sarah for your comments, I picked the place after reading the reviews and it sounded amazing.  Every small thing  wouldn't have bothered me,  but when it came to the silver-fish in the bed that's when I  decided, no couldn't stay there !!  A clean bed to me is a very big must, small incidentails I would over look and have done in other places.

@Joan367  Yeah, silverfish in the bed would definitely turn me off, as well 🙂

Airbnb had a security breach and therefore some hosts and guests are unable to leave reviews or receive guest review reminders.

I have been waiting for 4 weeks for this functionality to be restored and the communication to the Airbnb Support centre has all  been one way without a resolution.