Reviews

Rich2944
Level 2
Westhampton Beach, NY

Reviews

I am new to the community and I would love to understand and get help with the review process.

Does AirBnB really want us to be honest? My concern is other hosts and being honest with my review.

I will keep it short. The limit at my place is 8 people. They showed up with 10. I had no additional guest fee set up so there was nothing AirBnB could do there. The ring doorbell camera was my proof and I sent it to AirBnB.

Is it too much to expect guests to clean used pots ( there is a dishwasher) or throw out garbage? 
I contacted them about missing beach towels, there couldn’t understand how they were missing?

I had to throw away 1 hand towel and wash cloth as per my cleaning persons report.

I would like to say for the benefit of other hosts:

Cleanliness 3

Communication 3

House Rules 2

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3 Replies 3

@Rich2944   Your expectations for cleanliness and waste removal were reasonable. But when you already know that the guests have disrespected your occupancy limit, you can safely assume that they'll be just as disrespectful of the home itself. 

An honest review is crucial here, but the text of the review is far more important than the star ratings. The main things that it should get across is that the guests exceeded their agreed head count without permission, and did not follow your cleaning instructions. The details aren't so important. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Rich2944  One thing to be aware of is that hosts who don't use Instant Book are not privy to see star ratings of guests. So as Andrew said, make sure your written review is informative. Otherwise you haven't let non- IB hosts know about the guest.

Even if I could see star ratings of guests, they would tell me nothing of value, because I have no idea why another host would give a certain rating and they are entirely subjective. What you might consider to be a 3* guest, I might consider to be a 5* guest.

As far as the clean-up you would like guests to do before leaving, you can't just assume guests will do this. Be specific in your check-out instructions as to exactly what you'd like them to do.

Of course, some will totally ignore this, but then you can mark them down for not following instructions.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Rich2944 

You can always quote the Terms of Service that the guest needs to leave the accommodation in the same state it was found in.  I include this in my 48 hour prebook message.  It reinforces the legal contract.