Risky guests

Answered!
Carol431
Level 3
Calgary, CA

Risky guests

I have to make a suggestion that airbnb not allow locals to book homes especially young adults without ratings because from my own experience these people are only looking for a place to party. I recently experienced this and they trashed my place plus brought danger to my home where I have kids. This reservation was suspicious to me even before it happened as the people even had a new account. However, to maintain my “super host” I didn’t cancel it and that is an extremely dangerous rule to follow by putting everything at risk just to keep perfect scores. I recently found out you can cancel a certain number of these bookings only. 

1 Best Answer

Yes, this is now the case. Went from trusting  and hosting hundreds to having the worst incidents  involving only locals who were living within the city limits. They had no previous reviews and were new to airbnb, so it’s not always easy to judge a situation beforehand. 

But good on you for having it all figured out.

For others I guess we need to live and learn 🙂

View Best Answer in original post

19 Replies 19
Sean433
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@Carol431 

Let me guess, was it a weekend booking too? Locals + Weekend bookings are extremely risky and I normally decline. I recently made a post about this. Now, you have to be 25+ to book a home locally in my city or have positive reviews. This is a test and if it proves successful, it will be rolled out in other cities. Its a good step forward.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/AIRBNB-BANNING-GUESTS-UNDER-25-TO-BOOK-HOMES-THANK-YOU-A...

In Cape Town, we have the same issues (my neighbours did), and to avoid this, I just priced Fri and Sat nights higher and insisted on 3 day's bookings over weekends.

Have been with Airbnb for many years, and NEVER had such a problem since instituting these steps.

John4621
Level 1
Cartagena, CO

Does any one else have these Issues, TO ALL PLEASE READ CAREFULY , I Was Waiting For A Nasty Report Review From This Guy, This due to Him Not Getting Being Allowed Working Girls/PROSITITUTE In to our apartment very Late at night He was Very Nasty with our Secuirty and Me Our place has Policy.s in place in the Complex when you Book with us you are required to send the names of the guest before you arrive to the apartment and only these names are allowed in to the apartment, This Guest was Very Nasty and Demmanding to our secuirty Guy And My self So for this Reason I Dont Recommend Him He Fabricated these Issues But As A Host we Had Recommendatios From Air BnB and Carry ouy out Full Fumigacion of the Apartment inline of what Air BnB Recommend and that a ceritficate was sent to AirBnB, ONCE AGAIN I DON,T RECOMMEND THIS GUEST SERGIO DE LA FUENTE, ALL BE AWEAR IF YOU HOST HIM !!!! , I SHALL PUT THIS ON THEAIR BNB COMMUINTY WEB SITE FOR ALL TO SEE AND FACE BOOK , REGARDS JOHN Does any one else have these Issues

@John4621  Yes, plenty of hosts have had these kind of issues.

The thing to do is to leave an honest review of the guest to warn other hosts. Posting in other places is fine, but the place all hosts look is on the guest's Airbnb review page. For instance, I don't use Facebook at all, so I'd never see it there. But I do look at the Airbnb reviews a guest has received from other hosts.

You have to be careful how you word the review, or Airbnb can remove it. You can't say that the guest brought prostitutes home, for instance- just say the guest brought unregistered people into your home without permission and ignored your house rules. If a guest posts lies in his review, you can respond to the review, but remember that it is future guests who will see your response, so just respond in a brief, professional way. "The issues mentioned by this guest are false and were given in retaliation for being called out on his unacceptable behavior."

Nazan0
Level 2
Birmingham, United Kingdom

I have a guest who is drinking every night. He is carrying his drink out of my flat to downstairs then sitting in front of the house smoking all night in half hour intervals. This means unlocking my flat door and seriously disturbing my other guest and myself throughout the night.  I tightened the house rules a little bit more like closing the flat door which he left open almost all day long and the evening whilst he is consuming his drink/smoke yet that didn't deter him at the slightest. 

What do I do?