Roaches problems, account blocked for two years and more roaches in a new place

Laura-Angelica0
Level 2
León, Mexico

Roaches problems, account blocked for two years and more roaches in a new place

My airbnb account was blocked in September or October 2018 and I just got it back just a few weeks ago. I remember it clearly because it was after me and my family had a trip to Rome, for which we rent a place near the Vatican. We had problems with a lot of cockroaches in there (which were more or less managed by my patience and my poor familiy with roaches inside their shoes), and my account was blocked a few days after that, they never emailed me back, until I called them. Ok, whatever, two years have passed. LIfe continues.

Problem is now I have AGAIN roaches in the new room that I just got in Guanajuato, México. More than uncomfortable, it´s very unfair how this situations are managed by Airbnb. I still have one week left in this place which has no cancellations available. I have no idea what to do, I can´t stay up for an entire week. What should I do?

5 Replies 5
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Laura-Angelica0 if you cannot stay, you will have to cancel and get out of there.  First step is to contact the host so that they have a chance to rectify the problem, along with notifying airbnb. Always keep the communication on the airbnb messaging platform.  As days have passed, I suppose you have done this already ?  Try and contact airbnb and explain the situation, take photos of the problem if possible. airbnb might be able to assit you finding a new place to stay and get you a refund for the nights you did not stay.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Laura-Angelica0  I'm not even sure how you managed to book the place- all listings in Mexico are blocked right now because of coronavirus. No one is supposed to be hosting here in Mexico.  

It's really weird that your account got blocked for reporting cockroaches before- normally it's the host that has their listing suspended for something like that.

I'm not sure what you mean, the place "has no cancellations available". A a guest, you can cancel anytime you want- no one can force you to stay. Call Airbnb again, tell them the place is uninhabitable due to a cockraoch infestation, and hopefully you'll be refunded for the unused days. Usually you can ask them to try find you another place to move to, but as I said, all listings in Mexico are supposed to be closed now. Your host is violating federal coronavirus directives.

@Laura-Angelica0  Under normal circumstances, you would usually be expected to do when there's a pest problem is report it to the host first. Some creatures are just a fact of life in most of the world, but if you have a full blown infestation, the place should be inspected for an underlying problem. 

If you're traveling in the midst of a global pandemic, though, roaches are the least of your problems.

What I don't understand is how your account being blocked figures into all this. How is it relevant to your currebt situation, and what do roaches have to do with it? 

Me neither, my account was blocked after that situation in Rome, without any further explanation or any email back. When I could finally get it back, still I didnt get any explanation. That is what is relevant, I think the host reported me, so that he didn´t get a bad review, because it was very serious,  from 5 to 10 every night. Anyway, as you say, I can´t do anything about that now, not very fair outcome to me. Just as it is now, not fair, the host refuses to refund me the nights I am not staying. 

I am not travelling, I have to do quarantine because I am coming from another part of the world, I had to leave the other country due to corona virus actually; and renting this place was to isolate myself and not risk others. 

@Laura-Angelica0   I hope your discussion with the host is on the record in AIrbnb's messenger, to give you a paper trail. A pest infestation is one of the "Travel Issues" that may be eligible for a refund of remaining nights under the guest refund policy:  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/544/what-is-airbnbs-guest-refund-policy-for-stays

If the quarantine policy allows you to move to another location, it's best that you try and reach Airbnb by phone immediately and find alternate accommodation.