Rude Guests

Sara228
Level 1
St. Louis, MO

Rude Guests

Hi all, I recently starting hosting on Airbnb, and certain guests have been upset by certain things not being how they expected them to be. Most recently, I was rudely spoken to because I do not offer wifi (which I do not say I offer in my listing). I am not really sure how to respond to these guests when they expect me to offer them with things I do not claim to have. This woman just expected me to have wifi and said she was "flabbergasted" when I explained that my listing does not list "wifi" on the "ammenities" section.

It makes me extremely stressed to be treated rudely, even when I am not at fault. How do hosts deal with these types of people?

22 Replies 22

Hi I’m an active Airbnb host and (a guest as well), I’ve been hosting with pleasure guests since June 2016 on Airbnb and only getting very good reviews and making friends. However I’m currently having a guest that checked-in very sick (flu I think) and is being rude and impolite… How should I manage and what are my options? Please advice.

Unfortunately, they even troll these forums! AirBnB is not for the faint hearted. I feel for you. There was a time when people were usually very nice. What I would do is ask if they'd like to find somewhere else to stay. Wait for them to agree....THEN call AirBnB and tell them the guest has asked to leave. You won't be penalised. Unfortunately, the guest in cases like this are usually refunded their money. That's right. It encourages rudeness. I think that's the reason in 2017 a high proportion of guests are very rude.

Elizabeth164
Level 9
Portland, ME

I have noticed that with each passing year, guests are more demanding, expecting true "B & B" treatment, without understanding they are not paying those rates. I have had to rewrite my house manual and welcome intro letter several times now, so that what I offer and expect is very clear and stated twice. Then, if guests write reviews that reflect they "expected" B & B service, I can calmly respond. I think Airbnb is somewhat to blame for this increase of over-expectations. The company doesn't "feature" ordinary homes, when they highlight listings. They highlight the very posh.  Now in my 6th year of hosting, I understand why B & B owners often give up after a few years: the work is never ending and guests don't really understand what goes into things. 

Elizabeth164
Level 9
Portland, ME

Once or twice I have had to have a "conversation" with a guest:  Once, I sat folks down and said, " I want your stay to be comfortable, but there are some rules in my house. Remember that you are in my private home, and you are renting a room, with use of the breakfast room only for breakfast. It isn't okay for you to show up after my cut-off time for check-ins and then proceed to make dinner. It isn't okay for you to play music aloud. My listing is very clear."  Recently I had a guest who wrote a review that I was "around too much." Of course I am around in my own home. He was just frankly rude and out of bounds, and I let him know that. There is no excuse for people coming into your private home and treating you like a servant. There simply is no excuse for it. 

Courtnay0
Level 3
Albuquerque, NM

Hello All!

I am grateful to find this post today... rather than reiterating that these are our homes we are sharing...I need some super practical advise. I am a new Host, started Feb. 14th this year. Up until now I have had the good fortune of hosting some amazing people from all over the world. Unfortunately, I cannot say that of my current guest. Just recently I opened my home to extended stays. My current guest reserved the room in my home for 28 days. My guest has treated me with disrespect since the first night, repeatedly hitting on me. Now since I have made it clear his advances are not welcome not are they included as part of his stay, he has resorted to insulting me. He repeatedly has called me into his room to adjust the air conditioner, close the blinds, bring him water, etc. Even when I have had company if my own, asked me to tell him what I am doing, when I will be home, wanting me to come home to give him a ride to go eat. All the while he lays in bed, ordering me around. He has called me fat, said my home is in a trashy neighborhood, called me stupid, and on top of this he has demanded a full breakfast even though my listing clearly states I offer a continental breakfast only. I'm concerned that I will lose Superhost status if I ask him to leave, not to mention his payment for his stay has already been applied to bills, etc. If there is something I can do besides simply leaving my own home and not answering the phone, I'm all ears!

@Courtnay0  See the thread you started I replied there. 

Veronica644
Level 1
Oslo, Norway

If somebody buys something online, lets say a yellow sweater, and they dont look at the pictures, but they buy it, and they get it in the mail and start screaming. Because they want a red sweater. Its not the store´s fault, it´s the fault of the numbnut that cannot read. It´s the same with Airbnb. Write in the ad everything as detailed as possible. I often get questions about things that are written in the ad.  That tells me this is a person who didn't read the ad.Then I refer to the ad, telling them to read it. Lately I´ve declined the request of such guests, because for me that shows disrespect; that they didn't even bother to read the guidelines, instructions and rules before booking ( I rent out a bedroom in my private home, so it´s important that they follow my rules). Learn to pick your guests on an early stage, and you will be fine.

Jenny1110
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

I always point out something on the enquiry stage

so I say, I need to let you know we do not provide xxxx 

then it’s up to them whether they go ahead and book

i also make sure all communications are done via Airbnb 

that’s very important it’s a safety valve proof of what’s been communicated