Rude guest

Te1
Level 2
Englewood, FL

Rude guest

I have a guestw has all the windows open and the ac. Cranked up

24 Replies 24

@Te1

Yup..... I got one of those types in my home as well. Mine does teeny tiny loads of laundry every 3 days. Usually less than 10 items - 3 tee shirts, 3 undies, 3 pairs of socks, then  3 days later 1 pair of jeans, 1 pair of shorts, 1 long sleeve shirt, 2 pairs of socks - you get the picture, right??? Our water bill has nearly doubled since this guest came (4-month long term reservation). He also leaves lights in the common area and his room ON all the time. And he always leaves a trail of crumbs in the kitchen. Our kind reminders to turn lights off and to do larger loads of laundry fall on deaf ears - he smiles, says "of course" and then does whatever he wants and totally ignores us. We've kind of given up on reminders now and we just make it a habit to go round the house regularly to turn all the lights off, especially right after we hear him leave for the day. Sigh~~~~

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Make sure you leave an honest review for that guest, @Te1, to warn other hosts. You can also claim money through Airbnb to cover extra costs of the guests' stay.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

Marzena, you can? I didn’t know that. I’ll keep this in mind. I’ve had a couple try to sneak extra guests in which costs me more money. Thank you.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Te1

I've heard there is a system to connect widnows with AC so AC is not running untill all windows are closed. If such behaviour is common then it would be the best solution.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Te1

Thats a sure sign he's smoking weed is one conclusion you could draw, or else he can't live with the smell of his own feet!

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

Does that mean that smokers clean their stuff more ? 

Hugh0
Level 10
Sydney, Australia

Every time I have seen this I find evidence of smoking. 

Leave them a review that will make them as welcome as toxic waste.

Te1
Level 2
Englewood, FL

Thank you all I’ve had a good laugh and some great ideas!

Yes, I will surly leave and honest review and also pay more attention to other reviews!

I did end up going upstairs and closing all of the windows and turning the ac up to 75

i then wrote a note to the person staying here informing her I had closed the windows

and asked her to please close the windows if the ac is on.

Again Thank you all...have a great day!

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Why you are in Airbnb just anybody as Host do your Job and cheack you see something wrong say something 

Not sure what that means but it sounds like @Te1 did do something by shutting the windows and leaving a note. Hopefully, the guest gets the point! 🙂

Yes,  I had already told her once when she first arrived when using ac close windows.

So when all 4 windows are open and the acs buzzing I’m thinking this person is rude.

but I’m new at this and really worried about a bad review by mentioning this again,

then I thought that’s really ok because I don’t want clueless guest staying at my home.

so I went upstairs not only was the ac on 67 ( Its 80+ outside) every light plus the tv was on

so I just shut the windows and turned the ac to 76 and left. I felt better I just wasn’t sure

how best to Handel this situation  until I realized wait a minute this is my house! I did speak with her and she seems to be a little more mindful.

@Edwin57 i dont get your point... she just mentioned what she did, and even as a host, one is not their baby sitter and Airbnb is not a hotel.

@Te1 even as an airbnb host, your house should still be respected. I ocasionally have such guests, and since then I made a rule that guests are not access the thermostat and must ask me to adjust the temperature if needed (i had a guest that had the vents turned off - also by his request - and then cranked up the AC at 65F, while keeping the AC vent closed. I repeatedly asked if his vent is open and he said yes, yet each time i adjusted the temperature, he sneaked and re-adjusted it.) I left a very honest review.

I think too many hosts leave wishy-washy reviews in order to keep the relationship polite and non-confruntational, but i definitelly think it defeats the point of having reviews, if we cannot see how the guest really was.

Can we reach to previous hosts one on one, when deciding to accept a reservation?

Joanna85
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

I lock up my thermostat.  Yes...I do.  I know...I"m such a MEANIE.  Another thing I do is not allow folks to use my washer/dryer.  

LIsten.............we are in the business of turing a profit (yes, I said it) and my experience with guests...after hosting over 142 bookings since February, is that if is out for the guest to use or get to they will.  If you can't account for every, single penny then you need to adjust what you are doing so you can turn a profit or meet whatever financial goals you are trying to meet while hosting.  A few loads after staying in your home seven days or so is reasonable to me....but it needs to be montiored so they are not taking total advantage of your kindness.  Some people stay one night at my place after having been out camping for a week and ask to do their laundry...ugh...no way, the laundromat is four blocks up the street.  And I know where I live a/c is expensive and heat costs even more...and I"m assuming that is true all over the world, which is why guests want to make things meatlocker cold in your home, because they aren't looking at the bill!  In their home, I promise you, they are wearing ten sweaters and having heat from the fireplace, not cranking up the furnace.  

Don't be afraid to say no or just make certain things not accessable.  You are paying the bills and cleaning the messes up...or having to fix the washer once they stick their tent inside it and it gets stuck, so just clearly decide what the boundaries are.

@Joanna85 i agree totally, and I would probabbly lock my thermostat, next.  Once in a while, sadly, there are the kind of guests that are out to take it all. I used to offer a courtesy fruit basket, but few guests decided to eat fruits all day long, since i always replenish them. That freebie was gone. Also toilet paper and paper-towels: big waste, some guests use one huge roll of toilet paper in one day, but when i decided to put only one roll every 5-6 days, i found they are using paper towels from the kitchen, rather then buying their own supplies if they need more than what I put out. Meanwhile I find unused toilet paper in the waste basket, just to "decorate" the trash, not sure... I know it might seem like counting pennies, but i think it's unreasonable to use a huge thick toilet paper every 1-2 days (for 2 people). Thus i made a new rule: long term guests (a week or more) must provide their own supplies. And one load of loundry per week is to be made by each long term guest.

I guess, slowly, slowly, i will keep cutting down the amenities, but sadly the good guests get to suffer from the experience we have w "takers".