Rules not followed

Lorraine303
Level 1
Sydney, AU

Rules not followed

I have a guest staying for 2 months. I know Airbnb are against discrimination but I find boys in their early 20s difficult to handle.

i had 1 guest who left My room stinking and took me 5 days to successfully take the smell out.

another had a late checkout and insisted to stay around 6 hours after checkout.

now I have one that after constant reminding still doesn’t abide by my house rules. My home has been dirtier (I’ve had to mop the floor 4 times in 2 days), had complains from other guest about having to cleanup after this guy, toilet sink blocked, he took my drinks a couple of times, overused internet data even though I’ve spoken to him more than 5 times about moderation, wet bathroom floors, kitchen bin too full he refuses to empty them and waits for other people to do it....

he’s costing me more money then it’s worth. Worse was when I was overseas - he doesn’t respect my home even more. And with the virus problem, I’ve told him many times to keep clean considering I deal with kids professionally. Still my floor has dirty foot print marks and he leaves black water marks in any sink he uses and still overuses my internet.

From all these bad experience coming from boys in their early 20s I absolutely do not want to host for boys that age. I’ve already reached out to Airbnb but haven’t heard back. I’ve told the guy that booked his young guys stay that if things do not improve, I want him moved out.... and it still hasn’t improved much.

thoughts????

2 Replies 2
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lorraine303 " I’ve told the guy that booked his young guys stay that if things do not improve, I want him moved out.... and it still hasn’t improved much." Unless this was an employer booking for an employee under a business account, this is a 3rd party booking, which are against Airbnb's TOS and you should not accept any of those. They are often problematic, regardless of the guest's age or gender, because the booker hasn't bothered to send the relevant house rules or anything else to the person they are booking for. Also, you won't be covered for issues with 3rd party guests.

As far as the young guys go, I blame their parents for never teaching them how to behave properly, clean up after themselves, how to operate washing machine, or wash dishes. About all you can do if you get bookings from young people (and young women can be as messy and clueless as young men) is to impress on them when they book what your house rules and expectations are and again when they arrive, making it clear in a non-threatening way that if they don't respect them they'll be asked to leave.

I've actually hosted quite a few young men in my home-share and I've been pleasantly surprised that almost all have been clean and tidy. One floored me by leaving his room and bathroom so immaculate it didn't even look like anyone had stayed in there for 4 days- he even made the bed perfectly. Someone trained him well 🙂

As far as your current guest, seems like he's already been given ample opportunity to change his ways and I doubt anything will change, so depending on what the response is from the booker, I'd probably be talking to Airbnb and getting him out.

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Lorraine303 

It doesn't matter if the guest is male or female they are blatantly breaking your house rules. You need to contact Airbnb and get them out asap.