[SEEKING ADVICE:] Unruly guest is going to leave negative feedback... after he smokes in our home.

Answered!
Drew9
Level 2
Stockholm, Sweden

[SEEKING ADVICE:] Unruly guest is going to leave negative feedback... after he smokes in our home.

Hello there,

I've resorted to posting here, because I was not able to find any proper official contact info for AirB&B.

I am a host in Stockholm, Sweden, and I'm currently hosting a man from Belgium. Today I caught him smoking cigarettes in the guest room, and immediately confronted him about it, as NO SMOKING is one of three HOUSE RULES I have on my listing.
After making the excuse that he was leaning outside the window while he smoked - He then goes into immediate deflection and begins to tell me how my listing for the room is completely inaccurate and he was tricked. (We have not received one negative review yet). But, I hold my cool, and just make sure that he understands he CANNOT smoke in our home and must step outside to do so.

So - basically - I have a pretty positive feeling that this guy is going to rail me with a negative review, and for absolutely no good reason... And I've been REALLY putting an effort into making sure I'm receiving 5-star reviews (and have been 100% thus far). 

Does anyone know if I have any options here?
(This guest has clearly disregarded my house rules).

Could AirB&B help me out with defending a negative review that is completely unwarranted?

Would it be worth contacting AirB&B, and, if so, which is the best method to do so?

Any info/advice/or reccomendations would be GREATLY appreciated.

Regards.

1 Best Answer
Mala0
Level 7
Torquay, United Kingdom

Im sorry this happened to you and its a **bleep** shame that we all get so hung up on this 5 star review when we all clearly know the idiots of the world will come and stay and they will leave bad reviews  un- deservedly. I wont go into the story of my very 2nd guest but he was horrid and unfair and his very extreme low star rating left me having to claw back for 5 months and that one person made it nigh on impossible to get superhost.. All my other  stars over last summer and beggining of this have been excellent and  mostly 5 stars.  Ive stopped worrying about superhost,  I will give the same high level care i have always given and feedback on rude, demanding, over expectant guests who want more than they pay for and who do not read your listings clearly and blame you or your location etc..ha..

Listen write to Airbnb on the email option, tell them this guest was smoking in your home and got confrontational about it. you could have had a fire and if not insured costly at best and causing death at worst.  Your guest was totally out of order!  on his feedback put clearly this guest defied your rules of not smoking and and you caught him at which point he made negative comments about your home despite your previous good record. People will see he is vindictive and did this because he was miffed with being caught and told not to do it.  Warn other hosts.

Even if the hosts/household smoke, it is now mostly common place that everyone smokes outside or am i wrong? i hate smoke and would have been livid!.

Good luck and dont worry so much about the stars, keep up the good work, write to airbnb, ask them to make sure to reply to your email address at their earliest and you dont want to chase them on the matter. Then warn others in your feedback.

Mala

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Gary11
Level 2
Ashland, MO

I would suggest an extra cleaning bill explaining that hotels charge &250 per room and if he is getting more of the house, than one room,  this might increase the charge.  Refresh or what ever it is will but it will take a couple of bottles and spraying the carpets and curtans and bedding.  Gary

Mala0
Level 7
Torquay, United Kingdom

Im sorry this happened to you and its a **bleep** shame that we all get so hung up on this 5 star review when we all clearly know the idiots of the world will come and stay and they will leave bad reviews  un- deservedly. I wont go into the story of my very 2nd guest but he was horrid and unfair and his very extreme low star rating left me having to claw back for 5 months and that one person made it nigh on impossible to get superhost.. All my other  stars over last summer and beggining of this have been excellent and  mostly 5 stars.  Ive stopped worrying about superhost,  I will give the same high level care i have always given and feedback on rude, demanding, over expectant guests who want more than they pay for and who do not read your listings clearly and blame you or your location etc..ha..

Listen write to Airbnb on the email option, tell them this guest was smoking in your home and got confrontational about it. you could have had a fire and if not insured costly at best and causing death at worst.  Your guest was totally out of order!  on his feedback put clearly this guest defied your rules of not smoking and and you caught him at which point he made negative comments about your home despite your previous good record. People will see he is vindictive and did this because he was miffed with being caught and told not to do it.  Warn other hosts.

Even if the hosts/household smoke, it is now mostly common place that everyone smokes outside or am i wrong? i hate smoke and would have been livid!.

Good luck and dont worry so much about the stars, keep up the good work, write to airbnb, ask them to make sure to reply to your email address at their earliest and you dont want to chase them on the matter. Then warn others in your feedback.

Mala

Thank you so, so much everyone.
I can't really thank you enough for all the replies. I was not aware of how much a real community this part of the site really is. I am indebted. I have gotten in contact with a case manager @ AirBnB and am currently working through the issue with this bad-egg of a guest. He will be leaving tomorrow. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Absolute best.

Raquel13
Level 10
Miami, FL

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Hosts/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728

Airbnb

United Kingdom +44 203 318 1111
United States +1-415-800-5959 
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)
Argentina +54 11 53 52 78 88
Australia +61 2 8520 3333
Austria +43 72 08 83 800
Brazil +55 21 3958-5800
Chile +56229380777
China +86 10 5904 5310 
400 890 0309 (shared-cost)
Denmark +45 89 88 20 00
France +33 1 84 88 40 00
Germany +49 30 30 80 83 80
Greece +30 211 1989888
Hong Kong +852 5808 8888
Ireland +353 1 697 1831
Israel +972 3 939 9977
Italy +39-06-99366533
Japan +81 3 4580 0999 
+81 800 100 1008 (toll-free)
Mexico +52 55 41 70 43 33
Netherlands +31 20 52 22 333
New Zealand +64 4 4880 888
Norway +47 21 61 16 88
Peru +51 1 7089777
Poland +48 22 30 72 000
Portugal +351 30 880 3888
Puerto Rico +1 787 919-0880
Russia +74954658090 
88003017104 (toll-free)
South Korea +82 2 6022 2499 
+82 808 220 230 (toll-free)
Spain +34 91 123 45 67
Sweden +46 844 68 12 34
Switzerland +41 43 50 84 900

Chris116
Level 1
New York, NY

I had the same problem in January , Airbnb basically told me to pound salt. They wanted me to document the smell ... really ?!?! how would I do that , fart in a jar and mail it to them ? Meanwhile I had to have the place ready for the next guest checking in the same day.   For next time I am putting something in the house rules, that by booking they agree to a $500 fine for smoking on  or inside the property.  People suck basically.

Paul0
Level 10
Brunswick, Australia

@Drew9,

If they are breaking your house rules then you can ask them to leave Penalty Free. Make sure you communicate with Airbnb throughout the process.

@Raquel13 shared all the contact details. I'd suggest getting to know the Resolutions / Help Centre section better also so you don't feel out at sea with any future problems.

Cheers,

Paul

亜矢0
Level 1
Encinitas, CA

I believe you can leave "Public Response" on Past Review pane on Air bnb Website in reponse to such unfair, unreasonable negative response by the guest from hell to let everyone read YOUR side of the story. This part of the website is also a very good place to thank to the guest who kindely suggeststed for improvement on your service and other things. You get to show your care and your hospitality to everyone by showing appreciation for the advice by your former guest and showing that you are always making imiprovements as a host/hostesses.

Annie147
Level 6
Miami, FL

Hi Everyone:

I'm a superhost too that has learned the hard way that part of my task as a host is not only to provide a place but keep guests "on track" if I want a good win/win outcome. YES!!! As hard as it might be to believe, I do this on a regualr basis, simply because I understand that everyone has different upbringing, and some people have more or less manners and do or do not understand appropriateness when it comes to short term vacation rentals. With what is outlined below, surprisingly 90% of the times I have been able to avoid the hardships listed above as well as collected effectively from the deposit or Airbnb on the other 10% when a guest is out of appropriateness or out of control.

I will break up this text so you can read each issue separately.

I am forwarding the link to my listing in case anybody wants to read it so you can better relate that when using positive wording with a cost involved and clearly identified both in the Listing and in the House Manual it seems to work wonders:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/17421097?location=Coral%20Gables%2C%20FL%2C%20United%20States&adults=1&...

1.- Smoking:

As you can see, NON SMOKING AND NO SMOKERS INSIDE OR OUTSIDE OF THE BUILDING is my first description line. From here, I still listed again in bold throughout the listing and the house manual another 3 TIMES!. I would  have thought that guests would have been wise enough not to rent if they smoked; well, silly me; they still do! Furthermore, sometimes the booking person looks the other way and is somehow in the belief that if only one in the group smokes it's just not a big deal.

So, with this all over and as transparent as possible, at the very end of the HOUSE MANUAL only, I have  placed a text that reads something in this nature:

" Although we have listed our place as a non smoking and no smokers inside or outside the building; there are guests that either just don't read, don't care, or think of it as no big deal. This is totally inconsiderate and as such if upon your departure we find that there is evidence and traces of smoking smell or paraphernalia, there will be an ionization charge of ($deposit amount) and your deposit will not be refunded"

After I placed this; there has been 3 times that I have had guests that smoke. In each of the cases I have had to call an ionization company because the smell has been so brutal, and in every one of the 3 cases Airbnb has awarded me the deposit in full.

2.-Feedback (positive):

This is just so sensitive! 

Again, after realizing  how unassuming and careless about leaving a review guests can be; I do the following:

a.- I simply will not leave feedback for any guest FIRST. Why? Simply because I feel my time is as valuable as theirs. Upon receiving the first notification to "leave a guest a review", I immediately contact the guest and state something in the following tone:

"Dear Gaby;

Thank you so much for having booked with us! we appreciate you so!

"Kindly remember to leave feedback. It is as important for you as it is for us; as it is the only way that other hosts can know about you and your group. Please take a few minutes from your valuable time to do this. We will gladly reciprocate".

To this date, out of almost 70 guests only through Airbnb I have had 4 people not leave a review and 2 that the review was withdrawn. In both cases it was at the very beginning of my hosting. After I took this approach all leave feedback, and for the most part positive.

By the way; when I travel as a guest I do leave feedback immediately whether or not the host posted for me or not. In this case, I feel it is my duty as a traveller.

b.- Negative Feedback:

When there is a claim to be made such as for trashing the house or burning something, I send the claim and also send the guest a note stating something along these lines:

Dear Gaby:

We regret to inform you that we have placed a claim on your deposit due to _____________.

We ask that you kindly refrain from leaving negative feedback in retaliation for your wrong doing.

If you choose to do so; we will do the same for you; costing you future acceptances in other homes through this portal and others.

I have not had one instance in which I've filed a claim that the guest has been nasty after I state this.

Granted, I haven't got the feedback count of this person, but at the end of the day, my feedback is good enough and I don't have to worry about people slandering and retaliating.

I have written to Airbnb about this issue so many times in order for them to improve how feedback is handled , I'm hoping maybe the more times all of us write about it, the more our voices will be heard and something more progressive and fair for both the guest and the host will be implemented.

Sadly, it's very very difficult for a review to be withdrawn, and many hours at it with agents, so we really have to take the bull by the horns and take whatever action is necessary for our place and rules to be honored and respected.

3.- Feedback (gut feeling you're going to get a not so good review)

Again; let them leave a review FIRST. After this, be as objective and as detailed as you can by writing all the minuscule issues with the guest, believe me, they will be inclement with yours!

and PRAY when both are seen that they were as truthful and objective for the travelers to see as you were.

In my listing you will see how the out of control issue with the linens was handled. If the guest uses the linens for anythign other than to dry bodily fluids, and the stains don't come off, they will get billed on a per towel basis. Airbnb has been quite good at following through with this too, I think it;s because its on the listing and the house manual transparently.

Sorry for the length, I do hope this helps a few and most of all the Airbnb finally GETS IT that they really should do something about retailiatory feedback.

God Bless!

Annie