SF Business Registration - Can I use an existing business registration number?

Diego323
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

SF Business Registration - Can I use an existing business registration number?

I'm looking to start hosting.  I already have a Business Registration number for my own business (unrelated to rentals). Can I use the same one, or do I explicitly need to create a brand new Business Entity just to rent?

3 Replies 3

@Diego323, we are in San Francisco also.

We have several businesses (and more than one business license).

We registered the AirBnB separately because the business license for just doing AirBnB at small scale is free (if I remember correctly) (and if you check the correct boxes).

You can definitely use your existing Business License though. The SF Business Portal page on the topic says:

"If you already have another type of business registered in San Francisco, you can update your account to add your hosting business. Select industry type “Accommodations”."

https://businessportal.sfgov.org/start/starter-kits/short-term-rental

Thanks for that answer!  I must have done something wrong when I filled out my business license application because even though I selected accommodations, I had to pay a fee.   If you can share what boxes to vlick, I would greatly appreciate it.  My business registration expires on 6/30/18 where as my STR license expires on 8/22/18.  I plan to stop hosting this year and do not want to renew (between the time, fees, and lower room prices lately, I would fare better with a normal roommate rather than Airbnb).  Does anyone know whether I can host after the business license expires and before the STR lapses (from 6/30/18 to 8/22/18) or should I quit hosting on  6/30/18?  Thanks in advance for any help you can provide! 

@Linda231 they are supposed to refund your Business License fee if you only use it for STR.

I don't know the answer to your question about the expiry of the business license vs the STR license.

I heard I can get a refund on my $91 Business Registration if it’s used exclusively for short-term rentals. Is this true?

Yes. According to the City, if a host’s only registered business is for hosting (e.g. they aren’t also a Lyft/Uber driver, a hairdresser, or other small business owner) and the unit is in a building of 4 units or less, they will get a refund. This will be granted automatically if you meet the criteria, so you don’t have to request it.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1849/san-francisco-s-registration-process--frequently-asked-ques...