SMS Notifications not working

Nicole158
Level 4
Fredericton, Canada

SMS Notifications not working

I have been using the Airbnb app for iphone since May and I have always recieved an SMS notification when there is a booking request or a message through the Airbnb website. However, this has not been working for the last few days. I attempted to turn off the notifications then turn them back on in the settings, but when I do this, it says that i can not turn it back on because my number is not verified... so then i try to verify the number and the code i am given dosent work.

If I use the official website through my laptop, I am able to verify the phone number and change the notification settings, but it seems to have no effect on recieving text (SMS) notifications on my phone.

I called Airbnb to try to fix this problem, and the lady I spoke with was able to send me a message, but no others have come through since.

Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it?

41 Replies 41

I suddenly started having this problem, too. No text messages for bookings or inquiries. I do get an email. It started about the end of February 2019. My wife's isn't working either. She has a smartphone with the app and I have a "dumb" phone and no app so that's not the problem. I tried deleting my number and readding it, unchecking & checking the SMS box. Nothing works.

I called Airbnb support. Here's the email response I got a couple days later, "I just wanted to follow up as I did hear back from the IT department. They are aware of the issue and are currently working to resolve it. They did not give a time frame of when this will be fixed, but they are in the process of rectifying the problem."

@Michael293  Yes, the same thing happened to me about a year and a half ago. Very frustrating. It took Airbnb about a month to start sending me SMS alerts again. They first suggested ridiculous things like "Maybe your text message Inbox is full" and "Talk to your phone provider" before acknowledging that it was indeed a tech glitch on their end.

My SMS messaging has stopped working in February and inspite of all attempts to fix it, the issue is still outstanding.

I figured I have to always stay within wifi networks. Too bad because SMS texting is immediate and visible. It is harder to keep checking the Gmail icon for new messages.  I was asked to try using someone else's phone which I haven't yet. I'm pretty much sure the issue is not on my side, now that I see other people have same issue. I'm hoping it will resolve itself soon 🙂

Dieter68
Level 1
Windsor, United Kingdom

Airbnb has had this problem now for 3 years!! Don’t they give a **bleep**???

Marcus236
Level 1
Eton, Vanuatu

I am having same issue... its a fundamental function ... that is: notifications. No way of contacting AirBnB and no solutions in their FAQs help desk. Ripe for a solid competitor I suspect!

Francois612
Level 1
San Ramon, CA

It happened to me a few days ago. I never has this issue before and I missed one reservation request because of not receiving a TM by airbnb. I did received an email which I found out almost 2 hrs after the inquiry, which was alert too late since the guest need to book that day for 3 nights.  I lost that guest because I did not get her inquiry by text and she booked another place. Airbnb did not compensate for my loss > 

Lucas412
Level 1
Munich, Germany

I have the same problem, I cannot get any Airbnb message or log in to my account. Isn't there an alternative, like logging through an email or something?

Zak133
Level 1
Sydney, AU

I am having the same issues, no SMS more than 12 months and no in app sound notifications. Any ideas ?

We dont have eather sound notifications in Android app and also no sms almost a year. Any help?

BenkaandKeith0
Level 10
United States

This message thread is 5 years old and the problem is still not solved, still persists.** What is going on with, @Airbnb

**[Inappropriate content removed - Community Center Guidelines]

Saudin0
Level 2
DSM, Tanzania

It's January 2022 and I am also having the same issue. Contacted Airbnb Support, and they replied with long emails explaining that they have sent my case to the next team, but I haven't heard from them again! I cannot even change my payout method because of lack of SMS messages.

Rorke0
Level 2
Hagerstown, MD

May 2022 -  I recently had this problem for two weeks where I was not getting the text notifications but I was getting the push and emails. After a few days of talking to Apple, Airbnb and finally AT&T, AT&T was able to help me get this fixed. We went into my profile settings for airbnb and changed my contact phone number to a different cell phone number that person then verified the number, it sent you a request code to verify. Then I changed it back to my phone number, verified the code and so far it seems to be working. Just want to let you know this might help. All of this seemed to happen when Airbnb did the new update and I happen to do my Apple update at the same time. You also need to make sure on your iPhone that your SMS button is toggled on for texts.