SMS Notifications not working

Nicole158
Level 4
Fredericton, Canada

SMS Notifications not working

I have been using the Airbnb app for iphone since May and I have always recieved an SMS notification when there is a booking request or a message through the Airbnb website. However, this has not been working for the last few days. I attempted to turn off the notifications then turn them back on in the settings, but when I do this, it says that i can not turn it back on because my number is not verified... so then i try to verify the number and the code i am given dosent work.

If I use the official website through my laptop, I am able to verify the phone number and change the notification settings, but it seems to have no effect on recieving text (SMS) notifications on my phone.

I called Airbnb to try to fix this problem, and the lady I spoke with was able to send me a message, but no others have come through since.

Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it?

41 Replies 41

Hello from Geneva (Switzerland) !

I'm on Windows phone... and the problem continues.

Indeed, I haven't received any other answer from Airbnb...

Best regards,

JD

Valerie138
Level 3
Costa Mesa, CA

I am having the same problem and lost a weeks booking because the guest could not text me on my phone.  When I go to the app on phone I can send messages but not able to on my app in my computer..very confusing.  I just got a new phone so will see what happens when it is setup.

Martie5
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

Never had a problem with receiving sms's.

However, since I switched to Instant booking my sms seem to have stopped.

I am using an Android phone and have no other issues sending or receiving messages.

Garry29
Level 2
Littleton, CO

I'm having this issue now. Actually noticed it over a week ago and made some adjustments to my notification settings to see if that would help. This morning I found an email notification regarding a booking from last night. When I logged into AirBNB on my PC to check it out, there was only 10 minutes to respond to the booking request. This could have negatively affected my response times, but all of my settings for notifications are correct, both on the web site and in the Android app. Yet notifications are not being received either via push in the app or SMS text message. 

Jelena3
Level 2
St Paul's Bay, Malta

i too have problems with sms notifications. i am not using an app, and i do not use a smartphone.
notificaitons for messages still do come (but are different than before) but not for bookings or inquiries.

reporting it to aribnb has been a nightmare in the past week.

finally i contacted their fb page. they got someone to write me an email so i can finally report the problem.
i listed a few different ones (one of them being a browser related problem) and this is the answer i got "Please allow me to review this issue some more, and if the problem seems to be a technical one, I will submit a report to our Tech Support team, to investigate further."

this sounds like an automated message and is more annoying than sms notifications not working.
i'd be happy if someone just said - yes, there is a problem, we're working on it.

rather than "reviewing... if this is a technical problem..." 

Sarah1176
Level 1
San Jose, CA

I used to get an sms everytime someone sent me a request or just messaged me. Just lately, it stopped happening and I don't know what to do.

@Sarah1176 the mystery of the SMS stoppages has yet to be solved.

For myself, the SMS messages stopped for 2 days... then mysteriously started again.

I did nothing either before they stopped, and did nothing before they started again.

Some people have recommended going to your notification preferences and turning the text notifications off, and then turning them on again.

I am having this issue too and am using iOS.  I reported it to Airbnb and they are going to look into it.  fyi - the Airbnb phone number is 855-424-7262.  I recommend all of you calling so they know how big this issue is.  Then they will fix it 🙂

Gary5
Level 2
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia

it will not work by turning on off and on again.

Try this, it works for me

- Go to your profile

- Remove your mobile number

- Add it back again and for the verification code

- Done...your text notification should work by now

Claude238
Level 1
Grimshaw, Canada

My problem was that I was trying to log with my hotmail account and my iPhone X was filling the log in with my gmail account 

All is needed is to check your email linked to your Airbnb account and find the one sent by Airbnb to confirm your email.

Now will be able to enter your phone number without the “SMS” error message

Hélène164
Level 2
Hamilton, Canada

Since July,  the SMS notifications on my cel phone stop working.. Since yesterday, the notifications received  on my email don't work anymore either. I do not received any notifications from the people who wants to book my appartment ...I contacted a few  times Airbnb customer service and nothing is being done...is it a bug?   VERY ANNOYING....

I had this problem once, try turn notifications off and safe than turn back on and safe, this fixed mine, cheers

Gary5
Level 2
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia

I am having same problem for the more than a week. Called Airbnb help desk, they give me useless answer (they said is my service provider problem, my phome setting problem bla bla bla...).

Finally I found the solution myself....

Go to your profile, remove your number, logout, than login back, add back the same number, wait for verification code...DONE.

Now my SMS notification back to normal.

Adam582
Level 1
Male, Maldives

i m not able to get any text msgs. its been few weeks. any help. i am from maldves

Inna31
Level 3
Kailua-Kona, HI

At some point I stopped getting text message notifications, even though I checked all my settings many times. Now I have to check my app every moment: I am afraid to miss Airbnb notification because sound signal of the app is very weak and brief, I can barely hear it with our pretty loud ambient noise.