STRP Permits in Nashville, TN

Daphene0
Level 2
Nashville, TN

STRP Permits in Nashville, TN

Hello Community,

I have been operating an AirBnB in Nashville, Tn with a valid STRP Permit since Sept 2018.  I was just notified by the Codes Dept that my permit was issued in error.  Has anyone else been notified of such?  I went through all steps legally required, paid the fee, received the permit from the Codes Dept and have been paying my monthly taxes to the necessary departments.  How after almost a year can they say it was issued in error? 

Thank you in advance.

Daphene

8 Replies 8
Dawn43
Level 2
Franklin, TN

Hi Daphene, 

I have heard about this happening to several people and I know that there was a lawsuit being planned for people like you who came by their permit quite legally and then had the city take it away. I think this is really unfair given the investment sometimes necessary to begin hosting. I would say check with NASTRA to get more information about the lawsuit and what your options are. Best of luck. 

@Dawn43   Thank you!  Yes, it is very frustrating!  You rely upon the government (Codes Dept) to give you the correct information and you complete every single step required to obtain a license then to be told, oh well...oops!  We erred.  I'm trying to locate the attorney Hollin who was part of the case, so far only an email address which he hasn't responded to yet.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Daphene0 

Here's the report about the group of Airbnb hosts suing the city, on the grounds that Mayor David Briley's administration violated a court order by trying to stop them from renting their homes. 

https://eu.tennessean.com/story/news/2019/02/27/nashville-arbnb-battle-short-term-rental-hosts-fight...

And the link for NASTRA

https://nastra.org/

@Susan17   Thank you.  I have left a message with NASTRA.  This is unfair and plan on speaking out to City Hall.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

You're welcome, @Daphene0

While you're at City Hall though, you might want to ask why dozens of small, local hosts are having their permits rescinded, while huge corporate "mega-host" operators such as Sonder (with $400 million in funding, $1 billion valuation) Stay Alfred ($65 million in funding, over 1500+ properties on Airbnb), and San Francisco-based Lyric, (a self-described "tech and data-powered real estate lifestyle company", in whom Airbnb itself recently led a $160 million funding round) appear to have no such issues operating in Nashville (or indeed, in any of the other cities they're taking over, while small independent hosts are getting regulated out of existence)

Best of luck to you, Daphene. Hope you manage to achieve a successful outcome! 

Screenshot_20190821-222711.png

@Susan17  Very interesting information.  It seems money talks.  I will do some additional research.  Thank you!

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Yes,, it certainly does! Do come back and update us on how things go for you, @Daphene0 - hopefully, you'll have good news to share! 🙂

YAY!!!  We have won the legal battle with City Hall!!  It appears Metro did not want to honor the STRP licenses issued because they wanted to reinterpret the current law, legally they can not do that.  They must honor current.   It does seem they are more inclined to issue Investor (Non-Owner Occupied) licenses's because they do provide a larger revenue stream.  Only the voices of citizens, through attorneys and voting can this have a chance of being changed.