Safety concerns for guest

Safety concerns for guest

Hi there, this is our first time hosting and we've just recieved a request from a guest who has been verified (minimum 2 verifications) however has no reviews and only 1 non-descript photo. We've had a look at contacting AirBNB direclty but have had trouble getting through all the automated screens to detail our query to ask for some advice. Has anyone else had a guest with this type of profile/limited information that would have any advice or information for us as to how to proceed? Is this most likely legitimate and we're just being nervous as first time hosts? Or should we be weary of this guest and could be unsafe? Thanks in advance for the help!

4 Replies 4
Luis-and-Tati0
Level 10
New York, NY

Hi @Tess-and-John0

Currently more than 50% of my guests don’t have reviews… but Airbnb changed something on their end and now close to 100% are verified...

Last year at least 80-90% didn’t had any reviews and about 25-50% had no verification either… Total blank profile….

We never had any problems…

If you already accepted the reservation there’s nothing you can do other than leaving a honest review to your guest after he leaves…

If you have not accepted the reservation yet I’d say you will be ok with them…. But ultimately it’s your house and your call…

Luis

Joseph0
Level 5
San Francisco, CA

@Tess-and-John0

Airbnb is now requiring all Guests to be fully verified by the Airbnb system and that a identifiable face pic has been included in the profile .  There are some inquiries that are slipping through the system . If you get one of these , all you need to do is ask the guests to please complete the Verifications with Airbnb . It only takes a few minutes to do and its an easy process to add a Drivers license or Passport info .

Many Hosts are now declinging any requests until the profile is fully done and it does not reflect badly on the Host if you decline . 

Remember , its your home and you get to decide who can stay with you , and if you feel that they request doesn't have enough information for you to make a decision , you can always ask the guest for more . 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Tess-and-John0 Hi Tess & John, It is a bit of a pity that you have struck this situation first up but, don't let it rattle you!

When a booking request comes through I always check on their 'history'...as it were, with Airbnb to see what possible issues there might have been in the past. I know everyone needs to start from somewhere but I always felt I would be extremely hesitant about taking on a 'cleanskin'!!!

But a few weeks ago a guest arrived who did not look at all like her photo and her size was such that she needed a considerable amount of help to get around....and to top it all off, this was her first time using Airbnb....I had broken all my cardinal rules!!! I immediately rushed to my computer to up my sharecover insurance feeling that she would either create substantial damage in my cottage (which is not particularly disabled friendly) or that she would injure herself. At that point I just wished to myself she would leave!

As we do, we had a bit of contact with her over the next few days, and she turned out to be a lovely gentle woman who had some family issues she was trying to deal with.

One afternoon she had a drink with us and suddenly started to cry...something in the conversation triggered some event in her past! My wife gave her a big hug and at that point we all formed some sort of bond, like a long lasting frienship! On her last afternoon she said that her stay was the first time in years she had felt at peace and when she left she sneeked off before we woke. She said later in a phone call she did not want a drawn out goodbye, and she left us a wonderful review.

So there you go, there is an old saying..."Never judge a book by its cover"...and I feel a bit ashamed that I did to start with.

I know my time will come for that little 'upset'......but, it won't come because I haven't done my homework!!

Tess and John, do all the right checks that you can but, you may find that this hosting will be like it has been for many of the rest of us......amazing!....cheers......Rob

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

First: trust your gut instinct. If you don;t feel comfortable for any reason and they are sharing your home then it's not worth the stress. Secondly, you can also look on Facebook, LinkedIn and other sites to see if they have profiles there - you may learn something. Finally - there is always a slight risk - that you have to accept if you are going to host.