Saftey advice to female hosts

Susan722
Level 1
Muscat, Oman

Saftey advice to female hosts

I have instant booking  enabled. I am a single female host and two Asaian guys have just booked for 5 nights. i am extremely uncomfortable about this.  I would like to cancel their  booking. Will I get penalised by Airbnb if I cancel?

10 Replies 10
Vanessa-and-Kurt0
Level 10
Farmington, CT

@Susan722,

Not sure why it matters that they are asian? According to your reviews you have had men stay, with favorable reviews. Have these guests done or said something that would concern you?

It does not matter at all if they are Asian  Yes my first guest was a single man. But I knew where he had just joined his place of work and i knew one of  his colleagues.

The  second person was a disaster. He was very creepy. My daughter turned right round and left the house and refused to come back. She is very good at picking up on these things

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Susan722 First of all I would advise you to put a profile picture showing your face instead of a horse! It seems you have a problem hosting Asian men and this sound very discriminatory. You will not be penalized for cancelling an instant booking if that will be your first cancellation. Try to avoid cancellation in the future. Good luck!!! 

Let me know the link so the gentleman can cancel himself.

@Susan722

He can't cancel, you must-or he will lose his portion of the AirBnB fee. Plus since you are inconveniencing him by canceling for no reason, he should not be put through the bother of contacting AirBnB. If you are going to make this decision, you must take responsibility for the work and the consequences that AirBnB may eventually impose on you.

Kati18
Level 7
Vancouver, Canada

@Susan722

If you feel uncomfortable hosting men then you must call or message Airbnb to cancel the reservation.  Never cancel on your own.

I don't know if you have Instant Book on but if you don't want men booking your space then turn it off so you have more control over who you allow as guests.

Agreed with @Kati18 - I believe you can decline an Instant Book because you don't feel comfortable but I would always call airbnb and ask them to do it because I am not super familiar with how using the instant book decline reasons actually work.

Further, if you think this may be an issue more than not, I would encourage you to consider doing what I do, which is only host Females as a rule. I have 100% ability to ask Airbnb to cancel the men that on occasion have not read my description and tried to book and this has never counted against me because it is clearly stated in my rules.

Hope this helps!

@Susan722

If you are a single female living alone and will have to share living space with guests, then you are allowed to accept "FEMALES ONLY", but it MUST be clearly stated in your listing description and house rules. Despite this rule, if any men were to book with you, then you can get the reservation cancelled without penalty.

Since you say you have IB on, you can decline to host claiming "uncomfortable hosting this guest", BUT I would suggest you do not mention the race of your guests EVER. If you say 2 Asian men, people will focus on the Asian part not the MEN part. Are you uncomfortable because they are Asian or because they are men? If the guests were 2 Caucasian men, would you feel any differently?

No I am NOT uncomfortable becaus they are Asian - I  live in Oman. Some of my best friends are from India.

I find them very decent and nice people..please don't get worried

Jude