Sale of house

David993
Level 1
Houston, TX

Sale of house

We've paid dearly for a large house for a week in another country, for six family flying in months in the future.  Now we see that host has the house listed for sale.  Sure it might not sell by then, but why must we bear all that risk?  If it sells, which is quite possible, we will have to cover huge premium costs to stay elsehere, possibly on short notice, possibly worse accomodations.  Why can't we supersede the Strict cancellation policy, get all our money back while we still have time to get an adequate competitive substititute elsewhere?

26 Replies 26

Hosts do not get paid the rent until the first day of your stay, so in essence AirBnB already holds 100% of the rent in escrow.  Also, just because a property is sold does not mean reservations will not be honored.  In Massachusetts, landlords are required to honor lease contracts when they sell a property.  They can negotiate with the renter to buy them out of the lease, or they can transfer the lease obligations to a new owner, but they cannot simply unilaterally cancel the lease.   Also, to be fair, in many resort towns, time on. market is 6 months to 2 years.  It is not realistic to pull a property off the rental market for that long..  

That's how it should be in every state.  It seems just wrong to hold money in escrow, sometimes for many months only to blindside a renter with a sale.  My money was out of my pocket for 5 months and I got noting but a cancellation notice, a refund, much inconvenience and new expenses trying to reschedule numerous events.    At the very least AirBnB should require all properties actively "for sale" to be noted such before renting or during period between booking and occupying.   

Certain shorter term leases .as be exempt. 

Todd93
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

I am considerling buying a property that has future rentals listed on a hosting site. I would like to keep those rentals. How can I switch those rentals to my account once I purchase the property without having to go through cancellations and rebooking? 

@Todd93

You can not.

David

I couldn't find anything.

I'm wondering if the previous owner just changes his password for me to take over that account, then I put in my email with new password and change the banking info. Or link my account at that point.

What about that?

Would the previous owner be OK with you controlling their account?

Not sure I would be.

David

This is happening now to my husband. In mid February thye booked a house from Februaray 23rd through May 3rd. # weeks into their stay the owner said she sold the house and they have to move out by April 1st. MY husband works 12 hour days (6 days a week) at the steel mill . He is in Pennsylvania on this temporary job.  His kids and I live in WI, where he will return upon the completion of the job. Just as he got comfortable int he house and neighborhood the owner dropped that bomb. They never knew it was for sale. Now they had experience with the owners coming to the house and taking items belonging to the house (not the air bnb guest) - but unannounced. Which is a big no no in Air BnB. This host competely maniplulated them to get 5 weeks rent before the closing. This Air BnB rental cannot be rented without a at least 30 day booking. Crap experience and I regret finding them the place online for them to book, I was trying to find them a comfortable home close by their work and I did . This is 2 miles from their work. Nonetheless some people are still crummy. 

Jacqui from Wisconsin

Red3
Level 2
Miami, FL

I think now Airbnb offers a solution when new owner (in case of sale) can be added as a co-host with new bank information for payouts. Technology finally working for us! My short term rental is currently offered for rent and for purchase. I’m not worried. I’m responsible host and will only sell to someone who will honor all my current reservations that go as far as 18 mo out. No worries. All solvable. 

I've been searching for more on this solution for purchasing a property. I'm looking to purchase a short term rental that is fully booked for the summer. I'd love to keep all the reservations with minimal impact to the guests. Having their reservations cancelled and asking them to rebook seems like a huge inconvenience for them.  Do you have a link for the co-host and changing payouts etc?  Thanks!

Laurie360
Level 1
Springfield, MA

My host sold their property.  No apology, no kindness was reflected in their message to me.  The message just stated that they had sold the house and had moved. I called air bnb immediately.  I did not think it was my responsibility to ask for a refund in this instance.  The hosts policy indicated it was somehow my loss. The property owner no longer had a place to rent. By my definitions the refund policy was a con job.  I am waiting for resolution. 

Last spring something similar happened. The person renting decided to rehab his space and cancelled my  reservation. I had to call airbnb and resolve the bill. 

I thought airbnb was a service vetting the the hosts sight to insure for all involved that there will indeed be a place to stay when you arrive at your destination. I think this is a reflection on the integrity and quality of service provided by airbnb..  

In both instances I have had to scramble to find new accommodations - there are fewer available and I will be paying more. 

David993
Level 1
Houston, TX

In my case (when the thread began) I got the owner and listing agent to document in writing in advance that the house wouldn't sell before our stay.  But AirBnBs terms and conditions are Too Owner-Friendly.  Best they hold owners liable to cover guests' premium costs allocable to cancellations and sales.  and they can profit by selling insurance to cover that risk.