San Mateo regulations

Nathan10
Level 1
California, United States

San Mateo regulations

What are the regulations for hosts in the city of San Mateo, CA? Apparently there is a 12% transient occupancy tax, but I cannot figure out how to pay it, or if some kind of registration is necessary. I looked at the business license form, but it seems like that doesn't apply to rentals... Does anybody have a clue?

Also, how does one collect the tax from guests? Wouldn't a guest think it's awfully shady if they show up and I start demanding extra money from them???

Thanks!

52 Replies 52

I am wondering this part as well. Since I want to host legally, I want to register the short term rental permit. I prepare mostly papers, but only the last one’ Transit Occupancy Certificate’, and not sure how to obtain it. Confusing confusing confusing.

I think it's a typo and they meant "Transient Occupancy"  for Tax reasons, as that is part of the short-term rental pile of documentation that shows up in an online search, whereas "Transit Occupancy" is meaningless.

Both. You will need a business license. You will need to collect TOT from guest(s) as you are required to collect and pay the tax.

Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) form is here (see attachment):

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/viewer.html?pdfurl=https%3A%2F%2Ftax.smcgov.org%2Fsites%2Ftax.smcgov.org%2Ffiles%2FTOTGuidelines_3.pdf&clen=215118&chunk=true

Cy10
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

Does anyone know if I can host my house in Daly City if I don't live there? Are the rules in San Mateo the same as Daly City? 

The permitting process is handled at the County level.  Since Daly City and San Mateo (city) are both in San Mateo County, they should handle everything the same way.

Always check with the city of where you are hosting. Daly City may have different words other than San Mateo as each city is individually operated.

Midori2
Level 3
Menlo Park, CA

Anyone had any luck finding out the right way to do it without impacting the "experience" for the guests and without "tax hassle" for the hosts?  I've asked my tax attorney talk to San Mateo County, I've asked an old friend who works for Airbnb (senior-level) to connect me to the right people at the company to improve the platform UI/UX for ToT, and another old friend who is (or was) the San Mateo County supervisor to find the right department to make it clearer and easier for both the hosts and guests.  With these guys help, I'm hoping to get things clarified, and I can share the info with my fellow San Mateo County hosts.   No guarantee for a good solution, but stay tuned! 

Have you had any luck?  

Airbnb now has the feature that you can add TOT to your listing, which it will comply with the San Mateo County ruling to provide separate line item for TOT collected.

Shirley311
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

i have read the above conversation, but what exactly is the procedure.  Do we need to get a Business License to run Airbnb and we have to pay the TOT taxes.  Just want to be compliant and follow the proper procedure in San Mateo.

Checked with the City that you are hosting your Airbnb. If you are hosting in San Mateo, you are required to have a business license.

Michael3421
Level 2
San Mateo, CA

My question is not about taxes; it is about Airbnb insurance.  Our rental unit is a detached guesthouse.  Is anyone's detached Airbnb insured and what does the insurance cover?  We inquired:  We found one that covers property damage and protection from legal issues but not liability (when the renter sues the landlord because the renter got hurt).  Could someone help?

@Michael3421  I found insurance for my Guest House (which is a separate house on my property) through Farmer's Insurance.  Farmer's contracted with Foremost Insurance.  Not only do they cover liability, they also provide loss of income due to damage.  Check it out. 

Thank you, Clare.  I will definitely follow this up.