Scam - airbnb denies help

Therese157
Level 2
KBH, Denmark

Scam - airbnb denies help

I am a superhost and I recently found out that my apartment is being rented out fraudulently, using photos from my Airbnb listing.

My question is: how did they connect my airbnb listing to my full name, address and facebook profile?

The scammers have downloaded photos and text from my airbnb listing, and put a room in my apartment for rent using my name. They have posted the listing on open websites for people who have a room or apartment to rent. 

At least two people have sent them money to foreign bank accounts with a similar name: My first name, middle initial and a different last name (which the renters both assumed was a married name.) 

I was contacted via Linkedin by one of the people about a month ago who wanted to confirm that I was renting my apartment to them (I was not!) The second person showed up at my house 2 days ago. Both of these people were foreign students who are coming to study in Copenhagen next year.

I have reported the issue to the police, the banks, the websites where the listings were placed, and also airbnb. Airbnb was the only one who said it is 'not their problem' because the fraud took place on other sites. However the fraud started with them. How did these people connect to me? Unless they rented or communicated with me before, they cannot access that information publicly.

1 Reply 1
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Therese157 

It looks perfectly uncomplicated to deduce your address from information gleaned from the photographic images on your listing.

You also list your work place on your profile, and thus it is entirely feasible to find your full name on say, linkedin.

Fraudsters will attempt to create a listing advert to be as plausible as possible for credibility.

As long as there are people prepared to remotely wire money for renting, fraudsters will be active.

See the relevant topic below

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Rental-scam-using-Airbnb-How-should-I-go-forward-if-at-all/...

Consider editing your photos or add a digital watermark , along with reviewing your profile information.

Try a reverse image search to see if your photos are published elsewhere online.