Scam listing?

Anna10775
Level 1
Chicago, IL

Scam listing?

Hello - 

I have used Airbnb many, many times in numerous cities over the last 10 years. I just took a chance and booked a new listing in NY (Lower East Side) with no reviews (a chance I took, I know). I made the reservation and was sent trip details - on googling the address, it lists this address as a restaurant. When I asked the host (Sarah) about it she mentioned she doesn't list the address for privacy reasons and that I would receive detailed instructions, including her cell, the listing's address and checkin info 24 hours before checkin. Airbnb states this info should be available three days prior to check in (which for me was yesterday; I am supposed to arrive in NY on Friday.)

When I mentioned I was a little wary due to no reviews and an address that showed up as a restaurant she reiterated she is new to hosting but did host someone this week. All of a sudden that review is now up on her listing. However, when I cross reference the review, it's another young lady who lives in the same neighborhood and is her own airbnb host and who seems to have the same bathroom and similar-feel photographs as the original listing I'm trying to rent.

Alarm bells are going off for me. Best case scenario is that there are two friends who are helping each other start a legit Airbnb business; worst case - it's a fake review and now I'm out $800 (the cancellation policy is just to refund the $120 cleaning fee.)

I can't find a phone number for Airbnb to try to see if this listing is legit. I mean, who sends detailed trip instructions with a wrong address on purpose and no check-in information? 

Thoughts?? Anyone have anything similar happen that turned out well?

Anna

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Anna10775 Firstly Airbnb's phone numbers are posted in a thread pinned to the top of the help section of the community centre.

Secondly you won't lose your money as long as you paid via the legitimate Airbnb site. The host docent get the money until 24 hours after check in.

Thirdly - If feels very wrong to me. Call Airbnb and ask them what to do as the host should not be posting a phoney address. You really don't want to arrive in town and find either nowhere to stay or await and switch to a dire apartment.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Aren't pretty much all Manhattan (entire property) listings illegal, @Anna10775?

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Gordon0 Illegal they might be but surely they should still show the correct address. Also if Airbnb are applying the London 90 days rule and stopping people renting for less than 30 days in other locations such as Clearwater Fl. why are they turning a blind eye to Manhattan?

Agree 100%, @Mike-And-Jane0., Airbnb works in 'mysterious' ways.