Scammed on Airbnb

Beana0
Level 2
Swakopmund, Namibia

Scammed on Airbnb

We booked a place through Airbnb in Somerset West, South Africa for 2 nights, 5&6 May 2021. On the day of check-in we tried calling the host several times, but the phone was disconnected. When we arrived at the establishment yesterday afternoon, we were informed by the people living there, that they are renting the place and that we were scammed. He also said the same happened about two weeks ago to other people who booked the place on airbnb. I contacted airbnb Help center and they advised they will get back to me in 5 minutes. It has not been more than 15 hours and we still haven't received a response. I tried cancelling the booking only to be notified that I'm not eligible for a refund. What more can one do? 

2 Replies 2
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Appalling -experience try them on their social media

just checking your did make the booking on. airbnb and not a third party site didn't you @Beana0 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Beana0  Did you actually book this place through the official Airbnb site, or did you email with someone who gave you a link to their listing? Did the booking get paid for by Airbnb charging the credit card you have on file with them, or were you asked to send money somehow? There are many scammers out there online who send you to a fake look-alike Airbnb listing.