Scented detergents

Answered!
Christine2783
Level 2
Columbia, MO

Scented detergents

I am laying in a bed that is making me sick to my stomach because of the excessively odorous detergent the host used.

It is too late at night to disturb them.

What should I do tomorrow??

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

If you are staying more than this one night, I would politely let the host know that you are overwhelmed by the scent of whatever laundry products they used to wash and dry the bedding. Ask if they could possibly provide you with some bedding that they run through the wash/dry without using any strong smelling soap, and to please skip any fabric softener or dryer sheets.

If you can honestly praise some other things about the place when you do this, it would likely be better received by the host. "Everything is fine, the place is quite comfy, aside from the heavily perfumed smell of the bedding, which made it really hard to sleep last night. I wonder if you could...."

@Christine2783

View Best Answer in original post

16 Replies 16
Johanna394
Level 10
Tampere, Finland

Mention it to the host in calm, polite manner, and ask if something could perhaps be done to an issue? That would be my first step to hopefully get it solved

@Christine2783 

Thanks

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Christine2783May I ask which brand and smell it is?
The new Dynamo laundry liquid for removing odours works wonders for removing stains etc but is a killer smell if one doesn't leave one's washing out on the line in the sunshine for at least 4 hours.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Christine2783 Be a good, polite guest and don't mention it. I'm sure the host acted in good faith, and is not intending to poison guests. And I'm sure the products are approved for the purpose.

If you don't like the smell of the sheets, that's your problem, not the host's. What can she do? She can hardly go & buy new sheets in the middle of the night, nor run a set through the washer/dryer cycle which would take 2 hours.

Stop fretting, grin & bear it, & please don't tank your host's reviews for something which is your problem, not hers. - Remember Airbnbs are ordinary homes, not hotels!

I found a can of febreze in the bathroom, I took it outside and sprayed a little - it was this febreze in the bed! - it was on the sheets, blanket and mattress cover and less so around the head board and wall behind. 
It overwhelmed my entire olfactory system and burned my eyes. 
I have traveled all over the world for decades and have never had a problem with odorous beds before this. 
I do not think this is my problem. I do not think febreze should be used  in bedding, 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Christine2783 Ah, OK, You have a point there, NOT  good to spray bedding with febreze or similar. (Perhaps she hadn't washed it?)

Same thing happened to me the other week at an abnb rental.  It was so horrible!  I'm still recovering from body rash & scabs. 😕  febreze is a nightmare. 

She asked why I didn’t contact them last night and I told her I thought it was too late. She said I should have, that they stay up late. 
None of the linen in airbnbs or hundreds of hostels, hotels and people’s homes I’ve stayed in have ever, ever been so strongly odorous. Turns out it was febreze. I found a can in the bath, it is exactly the same odor. 

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Christine2783  I totally feel for you! I would absolutely mention it to your host in the morning. I don't know how long your stay is, but perhaps they could provide you with sheets washed in a "free and clear" detergent, or clean sheets re-washed without detergent- for the duration of your stay. 

Scented products are all over the marketplace, and hosts need to realize that not everybody likes them. When one is in the hospitality industry and catering to a very broad market, thought needs to be applied to things like this. I am a host and I make a point of using products with no scent, specifically for this reason. I actually explain this in my house manual, so folks who do like fragrances can be assured that their sheets and towels are still clean. 

I hope you won't hit your host's ratings about this, IF they provide a timely response to your concern, but it is certainly fair to mention it in your review, as it lets other guests who may be sensitive to fragrances know that the property might not be a good fit. 

I hope you get this resolved with your host in a pleasant and responsible way! 

Kia

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Many questions here like: are you staying for much longer? Is there a washing machine available? Is the host local to the area? What kind of immediate action to do expect?

I would definitely let the host know that you found the scent unbearable and that future guests may benefit from an unscented detergent. Mention this either in the message thread or private feedback when completing the review. But keep in mind that these are personal homes and there is a learning curve for many hosts. I don't think hosts should be "penalized" for using a laundry detergent they have probably been using for a decade. 

I’m here for 8 days. I thought she would just wash the bedding and I would have been happy with that. I vaguely considered asking for a refund of one night but I didn’t say anything. 
I suggested (and went out and purchased it) adding a little vinegar to the washer to help remove the odor. She would not use it. But hours later she brought different bedding. She also suggested she could get Airbnb to refund and that maybe I would be more comfortable somewhere else. 
I believe I have been very courteous,  I expressed appreciation and all seemed to be going well. 
My host had also gone out and bought a new coffee pot and coffee grinder because the ones here didn’t work (she had told me it was old and may not work - it didn’t). I expressed concern for all her trouble and she reassured me that it was no trouble, and that she would use it herself. I had specifically asked about a grinder before traveling so I knew to bring or not bring my coffee beans with me. (I could just as easily have brought my instant) She said, “next time someone asks if the place comes with something she will just say NO”. She says it is no big deal but then let’s her displeasure slip out, 
So somehow we have gotten off on the wrong foot even though I think we were both very pleasant towards each other. 
My daughter dropped me off and then went off to her own Airbnb; I wonder if my host thinks I’m sneaking my daughter in here with me and if that’s what got my host upset....

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

If you are staying more than this one night, I would politely let the host know that you are overwhelmed by the scent of whatever laundry products they used to wash and dry the bedding. Ask if they could possibly provide you with some bedding that they run through the wash/dry without using any strong smelling soap, and to please skip any fabric softener or dryer sheets.

If you can honestly praise some other things about the place when you do this, it would likely be better received by the host. "Everything is fine, the place is quite comfy, aside from the heavily perfumed smell of the bedding, which made it really hard to sleep last night. I wonder if you could...."

@Christine2783

Christine2783
Level 2
Columbia, MO

Thank you for the helpful advice!
I found a can of febreze in the bathroom, took it outside and sprayed a little- it  is exactly the same smell. But the hosts denies she used it in the bed (though she mentioned that a “fresh scent” lets the guests know the bed has been changed.) She also threw out that she didn’t spray it in the furnace filter.....(makes me wonder). 
Hours later she did provide different sheets but got frustrated when, after trying to nap, I found it on the blanket and then on the mattress cover as well; not all over but only in some areas - apparently from spray. 

She brought different bedding but hours after this she had still not returned the washed mattress cover so I just made the bed without. 
She had, however, offered to try to get Airbnb to refund. But I have no where to go and I’m exhausted after not sleeping last night. 
I’m happy to give a good rating but I don’t understand why she got frustrated.

@Christine2783  Her offer to "try to get AirBnB to refund" is deceptive. Any refund, whatever amount, is entirely up to her. It sounds like she has not been entirely gracious about all this.  

I hope all of your messaging has been through AirBnB. If you are still not comfortable, you can reach out to AirBnB and ask to be relocated. I'm not sure what area you're in and how much short term rentals are in demand, so that could be a limiting factor. 

Her "fresh scent" comment indicates that she's pretty oblivious to the fact that not all people are on board with that. There are those that have become so accustomed to "that" via highly successful  marketing, but again- she's in the hospitality industry and is catering to a large, mixed market, and has to adjust her personal preferences to  suit those who are coming to her accommodation. 

She could mention in her listing that she uses strongly scented laundry products or sprays, and give guests the option to request their bedding be laundered in "free and clear" detergent before their stay (although those strong scents tend to hang on through multiples washes.) She could even have separate sheet and bedding sets. 

Anyway, you should be comfortable where you are staying, and if you're not, you are within your rights to ask for a change, if you feel that the host has not handled your concerns responsibly. Good luck