Searching Airbnb by location

Kelly521
Level 2
Occidental, CA

Searching Airbnb by location

As an Airbnb (Super)host and now as a guest, I can't figure out how to resolve this problem. I search a specific location, but am presented immediately with all sorts of options, many that are a significant distance from the location that I'm seeking. I really want JUST the location that I'm looking for. I'm OK with nearby locations popping up AFTER reviewing those in the vicinity of my search but first I want to see those that are only in my search area! Why doesn't this happen when I search for a specific location?

3 Replies 3
Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Kelly521

Use the map to correctly position the place where you want to book accommodation.

Ricardo

Se você achou esta resposta útil não deixe de dar um "Like".

Meu Perfil.

Coloque "@Ricardo". Assim eu recebo uma notificação.

Mark755
Level 2
Tyrone, GA

Kelly,

I noticed the same thing and I did a test to compare competitive travel websites. I have four homes in an exclusive community south of Atlanta. Peachtree City was selected by Expedia as one of the Top 19 places to visit in 2019.

If you perform a simple location search for Peachtree City GA with NO other information you will get amazing results. The first four hits were a condo in downtown Atlanta (30 miles away), a townhome in Hampton GA (not nice and 20 miles away), a home in Jonesboro GA (so so area and 20 miles away).

If you do the same search with Homeaway you will get only Peachtree City listings with the mileage from the center of  Peachtree City.

FlipKey shows Peachtree City listings and then has a colored banner STATING  the following below  lisitngs are within 20 miles.

I think Airbnb's search algorithms are both misleading travelers and unfair to HOSTS who have bought and established great listings in the more desirous areas.

And you can forget trying to call Airbnb to speak with their technical team to talk about search algorithms. They won't talk to you.

While I like certain aspects of Airbnb this is a problem.

Mark

Mark755
Level 2
Tyrone, GA

I think the dirty little secret is that the Airbnb algorithm takes into account either or both revenue generation or paid promotions by listings that are not located in the exact search area. Meaning if you earn more money for Airbnb your property will get top billing even if it is 20 miles from the specific location.