Second Thoughts - 10 Guests and 3 Dogs

Ben3185
Level 1
Framingham, MA

Second Thoughts - 10 Guests and 3 Dogs

Hello Hosts...

I accepted a reservation from a guest who has 10 guests and 3 dogs!  It was 2x the ususal we rent, and the money is great.  I am having second thought now!  What can I do.  Is there a way on AirBNB to change the reservation and require a larger security deposit?  I'd even discount the rent if I could be assured the house is left with no damage.  I don't want to cancel the reservation if I can avoid.  Is it possible to assign a renter a "special" security deposit, after they have accepted?  My standard is $500.  

4 Replies 4
Andrea-and-Francis0
Level 10
Mississauga, Canada

Airbnb doesn't take a security deposit from guests. It is only used if you put in a claim for damages. You can adjust your security deposit to any amount you want at any time on your listing.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Ben3185 One thing to know about Airbnb is that there is no real security deposit. If your guest causes damages, Airbnb will step in if your guest refuses to pay. They will decide if your claim can be substantiated with documentation/receipts. They will likely only pay for items that are replaced. So you cannot just take photos of a mess and expect Airbnb to give you a portion of the 'security deposit.' Never, ever rely on it. If I were you, I would message the guest with your expectations and a reminder of your house rules (with are pretty thin so you may want to beef those up) and have a conservation with them that could ease your mind. Unfortunately, I don't think Airbnb will cancel this reservation since you accepted it the first time around. You may be penalized for canceling but it is worth calling and asking them about it. 

@Ben3185    If they have not given you cause to have second thoughts I would do as @Emilia42  suggests and also meet them in person and walk them through the rules and expectations so you get a sense of who they are and go from there.  Give them the impression there is oversight.

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Ben3185  A quick review of your profile and the house and it is obvious that you are not an on-site, or even local, host. Do you have someone in Vermont that can "check in" on the guests? Why did you agree to two more people than your published maximum? Do you have blankets and/or towels for cleaning off the dogs after they have been for runs in the snow and mud? 

Since you don't want to cancel, and it doesn't sound like they have given you a reason, I would kill them with kindness leaving them 10 human and 3 canine treats with a festive holiday card.