Security Deposit

Security Deposit

I put a Security Deposit on my listing but when my first guest paid yesterday, the Security deposit does not show in the amount paid. Is it supposed to show? Also in order to charge a pet fee I had to adjust the price and send a Special offer, meaning increasing the price to cover the $100 pet fee. Is this what everyone else does?

10 Replies 10
Nelson4
Level 4
Sagres, Portugal

i dont know, but it would be nice if the people that want to bring pets we could just have already a price available on the website (but with the restriction for hosts to accept or not the pet).

Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

@Judy33, the security deposit will not show in the amount paid, as it's not charged unless the host makes a claim against it. 

The site needs to explain to hosts that security deposits are not charged to the guests' card unless the host makes a claim.  My guest asked me if the security deposit was part of the room charges.  I was not certain on what to tell her.  Then, I saw this post in the community forum, thank goodness!!

I absolutely agree. My husband and I have been hosts for about a month now with a very positive experience. We have indicated a security deposit. I've recevied about 4 messages from people looking to book our space but concerned that the deposit will be automatically charged to them upon booking. I've had to explain to them that this is not the case. Airbnb generally does a fantastic job of anticipating all questions in teh design of their site and processes, however this is one topic that has slipped under their radar. They need to address what the deposit is for guests, the terms, etc in a clear way.  

@Barbara107 This is clearly explained on the pricing page. "Any guest who confirms a reservation at your listing will be responsible for damages up to this amount. No charges or authorizations will be made unless you make a claim within 48 hours after check out."

It might be well explained, but then the term is misleading. It is called a "security deposit". By definition a security deposit is a sum of money held in trust (by Airbnb in this case). Since Airbnb doesn't collect this money upfront, it is not a security deposit. Words matter!

Air BNB does explain about many things in the Help Center including how security deposits are handled.  I found it most useful to go through some of the FAQ papers Air BNB offers.  I see many questions from new hosts that could be answered quickly by such a Help Center search.

The site DOES explain to the host about SD.

An inquiry requested allowing a pet, which I am willing to allow. It is not booked, so instead of waiting till they book and using the resolution center can I just give them a special offer by increasing the amount by hundred dollars?
Kim-Marie0
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

Hi All!  Help!

I have a family that is interested in renting from us long term.  I have read the FAQ's as well as researched the "pet" issue.  However, it is clear that there are no "funds held" by AirBnb or the host.  The potential client has agreed to the security deposit but in reality it is NOT a security deposit and in the event there is an issue, it appears from some other hosts that there is no recourse.  I would be inclined to have the client pay the security deposit directly to me but guidlines indicate that should not be done.  I am also wondering how I go about increasing their monthly rent to cover the "pet rent".  How is that done for just one client?  Via the special offer as Judy did?  Would very much appreciate help and guidance on how to handle this!

Thanks a bunch!

Kim