Security cameras , a good thing or a guest deterrent ?

Simon-And-Helena1
Level 2
Christchurch, New Zealand

Security cameras , a good thing or a guest deterrent ?

Hi , 

we we have had a few things happen that makes me think it’s a good idea to put up 2 or 3 cloud based exterior security cameras . Things like extra guests turning up that have not paid.  a few outside breakages , guests frightened there may be prowlers etc . We do not live on site so we aren’t there to monitor what’s going on . We have just become superhosts and want to continue the high level of hosting we have worked to achieve 

i was hoping to hear from

people that have security cameras installed at properties to see if it works out well , or can it even be seen as a deterrent ? If I was a guest something that adds to guest security would not bother me ,  but I can understand it may bother others . I am aware they must be declared and I have no problem doing that .  

Before I make the investment , I was Hoping to gauge  the general feeling on having cameras monitor the property from those that have them .

thank you for any assistance you may be able to offer .

kind regards 

Simon and Helena 

5 Replies 5
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

If there is a guest deterred by my cameras then I am quite glad to have them not come!

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Simon-And-Helena1 I hope you're well!

I have a "Ring" brand camera doorbell installed at my property (I host a private room and live on site), and it has been brilliant.

I actually got it because the entrance to my apartment is slightly hidden around the side of the main residential building and is hidden from view from the street and could be the ideal spot for a break-in to go un-noticed.

It actaully is amazing as I can see when self check-in guests arrive (even though I ask them to let me know when they enter, they often forget as they're exhausted/excited), I know when guests are home or not home for safety, and I can see if a guest is having issues getting into the apartment- and I can talk to them through the doorbell- where ever I am!

Recently a guest couldn't get into the apartment because the lock was stiff- it was cold! So I talked her through it whilst I was at dinner with a friend, no panicing guest and no need to return home.

I guess that's where the Ring is good- it's not passive- you can communicate through it, and for me at least it feels safer with it. It's on my listing and I tell guests about it when they arrive- and they are usually always interested in it and how it works.

It just adds another layer of security in a rather non-threatening way!

Paul 🙂

Hi Paul,

thank you for your comments, very valuable information  from your experience .

regards

Simon and Helena . 

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Simon And Helena

I'm considering motion detectors for each room.

so, for example two people cannot be in three rooms at the same time etc.

I have two bedrooms, Hall, living room, Bathroom, Kitchen.

This will send messages to my phone twenty-four hours a day about the activity in my Airbnb listing.

In my opinion this has no privacy issues.

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Simon-And-Helena1, we have one exterior security camera on our property. We have the fact that we have one prominently displayed in numerous places on my listing and in my messages to guests. We have had no complaints nor even a mention about the camera, although we've had several people look up at it and wave.

I with @Kelly149, that if a guest is deterred, good because that leaves more space for guests who do not mind.