Security deposit - Confusing name - minimum level - should it be compulsory?

Cat8
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

Security deposit - Confusing name - minimum level - should it be compulsory?

Hi,

A friend of mine wanted to book a place recently, but was turn off by the amount of the deposit (over £700 for a week). She thought the amount would have to be paid up-front. She opted for another listing, with a lower deposit.

She only told me about it after, so I could not tell her at the time that the security deposit would only be charged if there were an issue, and to the value of what the host would claim.

I wonder if the term deposit isn't confusing?

Having read many messages on the community centre as as a new host I try and learn about how airbnb work, I can see that established hosts strongly advise that listing should have a deposit, and I see their point. However I wonder if some potential guests will not be put of, thinking the amount will be taken from them when they make the reservation, rather than if and only if there is an problem.

Could airbnb make this clearer on the listing? or maybe use another term? I am not sure which one, maybe amount guaranteed... or some name to that effect.

I also find strange that you are able to list your porperty without a security deposit amount, but should you wish to put one, then there is a minimum amount of £65. 

Then shouldn't this be compulsory/automatic for all listings, as a way to protect hosts?

The amount I put is what would be the cost of changing the lock should the key get lost by the guest, which I think is the most likely incident/damage that could happen. But I wonder if this sumn might no deter "uninformed guests" to book my listing.

What do you think?

1 Reply 1
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Cat8 Yes, hosts need to have some common sense when setting a security deposit.  Perhaps it would be a good idea to require one as I don't seen any benefit from not having that protection.  Hosts who have an unrealistically high Security Deposit just might have fewer reservations as a result as you indicated in your post.  But Airbnb leaves it as a host option as each host / listing is different.