Security deposit for host

Tan4919
Level 2
Berlin, Germany

Security deposit for host

Hello everyone,

one of the guests I hosted few weeks ago has disappeared with my house keys. Moreover even feces(crap) on my bedlinen. Although, I requested my security deposit from the guest, he did not reply to any of my messages. I sent all the proof and communication with dates, pictures, and another picture guest doing hand gesture just before he disappears..

Support did not seem they give a tiny f*** about this case. Despite the situation is awful, they are, as always, on guest's side. This 'so called' security deposit does not function at all, even for this.

How to sue the situation officially? I do not feel secure in my own home at all. Moreover, this individual should definitely be banned from using the platform and this useful community.

Thanks in advance. Best,
Tan

14 Replies 14
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Tan4919
Level 2
Berlin, Germany

@Emi6 yes, the task of the support is to take care of these tickets at resolution center. I created of course a report proving the damaged properties at my home and screenshots of our communication.

Tan4919
Level 2
Berlin, Germany

@Emiel1 

Yes. Responsibility of the support is to take care of these tickets at resolution center. I created of course a report proving the damaged properties at my home and screenshots of our communication.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Tan4919 Have Airbnb explained why they are rejecting your claim? Also did you leave a review for this guest?

Tan4919
Level 2
Berlin, Germany

It was my mistake to contact them untimely their answer.  Also this is not a violation for host guarantee policy their excuse.

I do not know what is the purpose of policies if as a host I struggle to get the security deposit that I listed for my flat. -- Especially creating an uncomfortable issue for my property and for this platform. 

Tan4919
Level 2
Berlin, Germany

Can you upvote please. I want this to be above to reach more people and hopefully a solution. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Tan4919  if you missed the deadline to submit your claim then unfortunately you will not be reimbursed. Change the lock immediately for your and your next guest's security and if you plan to continue hosting, think about the digital lock which you can recode after each guest.

Unfortunately, the so-called "security deposit" and Airbnb host guarantee is not something you can rely on lately. You may get it... or not.. but it is worth trying.

Tan4919
Level 2
Berlin, Germany

Yes @Branka-and-Silvia0 , I contacted airbnb support very earlier, earlier before guest checks out. Still I was informed that the time was not proper. I also come up with your argument to them. Also, it is extremenly nonsense -not contacting them timely- . I contacted them whenever I figured out the leak. Similarly, I could learn something is missing at home after 2 weeks, so this would prevent me to ask the security depposit. Sorry but this is very stupid.

Airbnb support does not care at all of host security and rights. I want to officially complain about the guest and support employee to be sample. Hopefully it will help them take healthier decisions. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Tan4919  you should file an official claim by using resolution center " send or receive money" Did you do that? It is explained here https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/264/what-do-i-do-if-my-guest-breaks-something-in-my-place

Just calling Airbnb CS isn't enough.

Tan4919
Level 2
Berlin, Germany

@Branka-and-Silvia0 would I take it to a higher step if I did not use resolution center? You should think broadly.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Tan4919 If all you can do is be rude to people trying to help you I suspect you will not get much help. I fo one will not be making any suggestions.

oh yes mike you are being extremely helpful.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Tan4919  "Similarly, I could learn something is missing at home after 2 weeks, so this would prevent me to ask the security depposit."

That is not the way to run a rental. Why would it take 2 weeks after a guest checked out to discover that something was missing? Hosts check over their rentals after each guest leaves to see if there are damages or missing items, or their cleaner or co-host does that if the host doesn't live nearby.

oh yes. I forgot to mention I am bald and only my girlfriend is using my hair dryer. Would it satisfy your worry?