Security deposit refund

Marsha7
Level 2
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Security deposit refund

My guest left over a week ago and still has not seen his security deposit refunded on his card.... How long does that take?
33 Replies 33
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

It is only claimed gainst if there is a need, nothing to refund.

David
Christine1
Level 10
Glenbrook, Australia

@Marsha7

No money has been actually taken, and therefore no money needs to be refunded. It is only a "charge pending" on the card. This means that Airbnb are authorised to levy the charge, but they will only do so if the host makes a claim, and the claim is upheld. Therefore if there were no issues-claims, then no refund will be issued.

Here is some of what Airbnb have to say on the matter of Security Deposits.

https://www.airbnb.com.au/help/article/140/how-does-airbnb-handle-security-deposits

How does Airbnb handle security deposits?

Hosts can add a security deposit to their listing, as long as they add it before a reservation is booked.

If a host wants to make a claim on the security deposit, they must do so within 48 hours of the checkout date. If a claim is made, Airbnb will mediate and collect payment from the guest, as necessary.

Security deposits can't be handled off-site in cash, as off-site payments are a violation of our terms.

Al21
Level 1
Chappell Hill, TX

It is very unclear in the information that AirBNB simply holds the security deposit as a pending charge.  The host should be able to initiate a full refund or cancel any 'pending charge' immediately after a guest checks out if there are to be no claims.

Christine1
Level 10
Glenbrook, Australia

@Marsha7

Here is a couple of quotes from 2 different sections of the Help Centre information articles.

When I read them it appears that the new information clashes with the old information.

In the past it was my understanding that 48 hours after check out the pending charge automatically expired. 

"Security deposits

If your listing requires a security deposit, you won’t be charged unless the host files a successful claim within 48 hours of your checkout.

If a host wants to make a claim on the security deposit, they must do so within 14 days of the checkout date or before a new guest checks in, whichever is earlier. If a claim is made, Airbnb will mediate and collect payment from the guest, as necessary.

They actually debit your credit card the total amount for your stay - including rental cost and security deposit - so airbnb has to credit your card the security deposit amount (assuming there is no claim).  I'm waiting for my credit...

@Mike431

Go to the reservation and take a look at your invoice. Is there a security deposit chargeed ? I think not.  Personally, I have only rented once with someone with a security deposit, and as said above, it was not charged in the first place.  It is only a reserved right to charge if there is a claim.

As @Marit-Anne0 mentioned the Security Deposit is not charged at the time of booking and seems difficult to collect against if you need to.

David

Thanks for the feedback.  I was only looking at my bank account and noticed the initial charge included the security deposit, and I don't see a credit for the $250?  Maybe I'm missing something.

Could you list out what you were charged, or better post a picture of your confirmation?

David

When I booked a condo on Airbnb, a security $390 deposit was taken out of my account(Subtracted from my bank account). Then, 2 payments equaling the rental amount were taken out of my account.  So actually, $390 was taken out of my account for a security deposit. 

oidid you ever get your deposit back?

@Keia0,

Airbnb does not take security deposits.

There should be nothing to refund.

There is the concept of the "virtual" security deposit, but no funds are taken from the guest ahead of time. Only after the trip, if there is actual damage and the guest agrees is the "security deposit" taken.

Yes, they do actually take money from your account.  Before our trip began we paid a substantial amount of money a damage deposit which was to be returned upon check out and clean inspection.   We cleared the rental, left it clean and the host released our money for it to be returned.  It's been about 15 days since we've checked out and we haven't received any money back.  It is a absolute charge out of our account.  This just happened May 2020

@Samuel--And-Amy-0  Was this listing through a property management company? There are different rules for the big boys that make lots of money for Airbnb through guest service fees than for individual hosts with only one or a few listings.