Security deposit refund

Alex633
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Security deposit refund

I recently had a complete nightmare guest, he brought a dog that bites without warning or having any kind of conversation with me about it, then refused to pay the pet fee. Smoked weed and left my place stinking of it. Left way after his check out time. He also figured a work around to my cancelation policy by "altering" his two month stay with short notice. The question I have is that, I don't feel like I can claim anything even though I had to turn the next people away due to the smell and the time needed to clean the place. The only thing I felt I could claim was some expensive candles that I had under the bed in there that were brand new/still in the wrapper that he moved outside and broke! However now, Airbnb has said that you are unable to claim candles on a deposit and they are closing the case (surprise, surprise he refused to pay). And I am just livid. I feel like this guy has got away with so much and all I claimed was candles and still I get nothing. Customer service at Airbnb and the quality of guest has gone way downhill recently. I am so upset! Has anyone got advice or suggestions on how to handle this?

11 Replies 11
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Alex633 you should have claimed for everything and you shouldn't have accepted his alteration request and you should have had him removed if he was smoking and you should NEVER allow entry to an animal that you weren't notified about. A bad guest does not improve over time. So sorry you had this experience. At least he's gone and you will be better prepared to be proactive with the next bad guest

Can't she keep the deposit or atleast keep a fee for the dog? Also, she should be able to keep part of the deposit for a cleaning fee. Doesn't the host get the security deposit before the guest moves in? If so, the host should be the one who decides how much to refund the guest.

@Catherine577 There’s a lot of reading you need to do about how Airbnb handles security “deposits.” 

Agree with @Cynthia-and-Chris1, also applies to @Tracy131.

David

Yes, it's obvious that I'm new to Airbnb. I did review the security deposit section. I'm used to yearly tenants  where I had a contract. The security deposit was kept in escrow, and there was a move-out inspection. The tenant didnt follow the requirements of the contract so I got the security deposit as recompense.    The contract protected my property. From what I've read in some of these posts the customer service at Airbnb is less than stellar. I'm worried about renting short-term now. All advice/comments are appreciated. Have I made the right decision?

No the host doesn't get the deposit. And I did manage to get Airbnb to pay the dog fee. But that's it. You can only claim for tangible things. 

Thanks Kelly, that's what was strange. I wasnt given the choice on the alteration request. I have been previously so I'm not sure what has changed. When I queried it with Airbnb they used the fact that he's a business traveler as an excuse. Do they get special privileges?

Tracy131
Level 6
Franklin, MA

You should able to keep some of the deposit for loss of income since you couldn't rent it out right away do to the smell and you probably could have had it professionally cleaned and got reimbursed through their deposit. 

After I pushed back they offered me $25 which is pretty insulting. I said no thanks so they said case closed, no further discussion. Terrible customer service. 

Cecilia155
Level 5
Boston, MA

Hi @Alex633

My question to you is why did you let him in if the dog was not allowed in the first place?

That automatically starts sending alarm bells ringing to me.  If he didn't advise you in the beginning, you could only imagine what he wanted to do (and did) in the end.

My house, my rules.  If I have a gut feeling about a guest and they start bringing in people/animals etc, I don't allow them in.  

Remember if it costs you your peace of mind.....it's too expensive.

Because I do allow dogs, but normally my guests have a conversation beforehand and we figure out if it's a good fit, discuss the pet fee etc. In the 5 years I have used Airbnb no one has showed up with an animal without warning.